Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU

Japanese Maples and Ginkgo at 0:54. Video in Chinese and Japanese with Japanese caption. One of the girls is Chinese and the other is Japanese. See if you can tell them apart.

Comments (14)

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I would guess the girl with the fuller face to be Japanese. I'm also going to guess most will think I'm wrong.
    Mike

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by mikebotann 8a SE of Seattle (mikebotann@gmail.com) on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 18:54

LOL, they both have round faces.

Do you mean the girl with the bluer kimono and the bow clip laying down? The other girl has a more purplish kimono and a bow clip standing on top of her hair.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

The one with hair bang is Japanese..

• sam_md
    9 years ago

The one with the "Gibson Girl" hairstyle is Chinese.
    What a bold color for a bridge, only in Asia would we see that.
    I don't know what they are saying about the Ginkgo fruit but I can guess.
    Both are beautiful girls and thanks to jujujojo for sharing.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

The girl with the yellow baseball cap is Chinese.
    Mike

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Mike is correct (the girl on the left after the intro segment) It's harder for non-Asians, understandably, to tell. But in this case it is quite unmistakeable. That being said, you can never really make conclusive statements in these cases. I'm sure there are some ethnic Chinese who for whatever reason "look" Japanese, and vice versa. There's been cross-influences and there will be more as time goes on. The Chinese in particular have wide range of possible looks. The northern Chinese look more Korean or Japanese to me, while the southern Chinese look vaguely Vietnamese or even Thai in some cases. I knew a girl whose parents were from Taiwan, but their mother was Filipino; she looked completely Chinese to me but her brother looked completely Filipino!

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 8:34

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

She speaks Chinese too!
    Hey, that's a clue. ;-)
    I was at the hospital the other day for a 'procedure' and a nurse asked me if I knew where she was from. She said Americans have a hard time identifying her origin. I said it was easy, not a problem at all, and then correctly said the Philippines. She was very surprised I was right and positive about it.
    "How do you know that?", she said.
    I answered, "Your accent is the same as my sister in law's".
    Like I said, easy. :-)
    Mike

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Well now that I think about it, that's probably a better way to tell. I hadn't even had the audio turned up this morning but I agree in the first talking segment, the girl on the left certainly sounds like the she is speaking Chinese while the girl on the right sounds like she is speaking Japanese. To my limited ability to tell the difference! That would be very odd though, to have a bilingual segment like that with presenters who are not bilingual. Maybe it's more common there. Chinese is probably hard even for Japanese to learn, and vice versa...though not nearly as hard as it is for a westerner. (cf: http://pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html) The is one of of the amusing things about watching old Eurovision segments on youtube, they always found a pretty maitresse of ceremonies who could speak the host language and at least a couple others. Of course that kind of trilinguality isn't nearly as remarkable over there. Growing up in the DC suburbs I knew a European woman who spoke English, Dutch/Vlaams, German, French and Spanish. (she was Belgian - the low countrys' residents seem as a byproduct of history and geography to have to know a lot of languages)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everyone above is correct!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Mike, your pictures amaze me...especially since they are from your own place! Other photographers travel the world to get pictures like you find in your own back yard. Anyone that hasn't looked through your photo gallery, really should!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Thank you Brandon.
    Here in the Seattle area we have a large respected Asian population that goes back a long time. Chinese, Japanese, and Philippine go back the furthest, with Vietnamese and Thai coming later. My German Grandfather grew up with Japanese truck gardeners on Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound. I worked for a Japanese Landscaping company for a year when I was just beginning the trade.
    Before I retired, approximately 30% of my landscaping business was with Chinese from Taiwan whose families were originally from the Chinese mainland. A few were from Hong Kong.
    I did low maintenance installs and yard makeovers and stayed away from maintenance. People who have their landscape professionally installed are usually new comers to the area, or not gardeners, and low maintenance is a high priority for them. I understood that and got a lot of business because of that. This subject deserves a new thread, perhaps in the Landscape Design Forum.
    Mike

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

Is that you in the picture? That is hilarious.

• Mike McGarvey
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not me. It's a friend, Jeff.
    I look a lot different. ;-)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Botann/2561700120036511179.jpg