Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmacsimus66

Best oak to plant in a 7'x7' concrete box?

D McElhaney Sr
9 years ago

Thinking about planting an oak in a 7'x7' concreted area to the left of my driveway. This area gets hot in the summers for all the surrounding concreted area and the dirt ground I have is clay around a three to five foot depth layer. Would love to have a Quercus Lobata, but city codes impair that due to costs and regs. Have a chance to get a Quercus Shumardii but thinking the heat may be a bit much and lifting of concrete might be issue although its recommended by city strip guidelines of that tree being in a 5'x5' ! Any oak experts out there? Acorn drop is a concern too, but the Shumardii has better specs than others on that too.......
thanks

Comments (11)

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the area I'm talking about. Im going to remove the existing tree, for its growth rate is just to slow. I'm going to relocated to an area of my back yard where I'm hoping it will survive the move.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last pic.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

I question whether you really want an oak there at all.

Oak also is slow growing, and eventually the root system could start pushing up the concrete, if all that concrete doesn't stress out the plant, although the roots would go deeper than that of a maple. Plus, there's a nearby fire hydrant, which makes be wonder if any tree you would put there would go on a quest for water â¦

of course if you don't plan to live there more than 10 years, you can let the next owner could deal with it â¦

just some thoughts.

dave

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dave, i am questioning the thought of the oak for sure. The current tree is a presidential gold ginkgo and while it is a gorgeous tree in a great spot, I'm wanting shade. The tree grows really slow, about 1ft a year so far if even that. I've thought about a maple actually, but the heat around all that concrete makes me wonder if that would work, and the roots..... well they do try to have alot of em laterally. .... any other suggestions? Oaks.....

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

I would just keep that ginkgo. It will soon start to widen up and cast some shade. Water it in summer time and it might grow at least a little bit faster

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    9 years ago

Maybe one of the larger "tree size" crape myrtles like 'Muskogee' or 'Natchez'.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

redefines my use of the word BOX ... its a flat square ... no sides ...

no matter what you plant there.... you will have a 2 or 3 year battle of getting it established ... not only in regard to watering...

but also.. the shear heat of the blistering sun reflecting off that white cement... baking the tree itself ... many hours after sunset.. as the cement will retain day heat.. long into the night.. when most garden plants.. get a recovery period ....

and that is most likely.. why this tree failed ....

i wish you luck

ken

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really appreciate all the replies. I've decided to leave the tree. It is established there now and maybe it will start to take off a little better. They are a beautiful tree and when it gets big, it will be a Wow, look at that tree! Just gonna take some time. I'd rather do that then planting the quercus Shumardii and have to eventually deal with acorns and possible concrete damages etc....

Happy Holidays,
    Cheers

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I'd put a Satsuma mandarin in there! Or maybe a kumquat.

For oaks, surely there are evergreen oaks that stay smaller such as Ubame oak.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 9:20

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

That ginko will pe a pretty tree, but a natchez crape myrtle will also be stunning although it will not provide a lot of shade.

I have a huge water oak in my back yard and it drops lots of acorns. most of them gemintate. One of the seedlings that is 5 years old is already 13 ft tall. It is the fastest growing oak incase you decide to plant one. But it can get up to 80 ft tall and have a 60ft spread. it forms into a beautiful crown. Although it is not very long living.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys. Just can't bring me to the point of taken it out. I just need to let time pass by and enjoy the tree as it grows. Nice recommendations though! Oaks are awesome. I already have a Northern Red, a Willow Oak, and a Regal Prince Oak in the ground.
    Happy Holidays all