Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

eleven years from an acorn

yeah.. believe it or not.. i planted this in spring 2000 from an acorn ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR

ken

note the variegated robur in the bottom left -- English oak for those of you in saulcilito ... reo linda.. whatever

{{gwi:360771}}

{{gwi:494020}}

{{gwi:360775}}

{{gwi:325070}}

care to ID it for me

{{gwi:494021}}

{{gwi:494022}}

{{gwi:494024}}

Comments (14)

• IpmMan
    12 years ago

Must be frozen in Kens Land
    So off to garden web he goes
    Wit and keybord both in hand.

Amuses us with his photos
    And all his questions
    To keep us on our toes.

So before the sun lifts the freeze
    Enjoy for now
    Till he gets back to cutting trees.

Happy New Year

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i am honored by a poetic reply ...

who knew IP was so talented... yet integrated.. all in one.. lol

ken

get it. ..IPM...

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I don't believe Mr. Ripley is looking at a 5 year old tree.

• krnuttle
    12 years ago

I have been looking at the several decades old tree and saying "no way"

However the small tree left of center is several of the pictures, could very possibly be 11 years from the acorn.

Original Author
    12 years ago

no.. i am talking about the big one.. one of the pix has a shovel leaning against it.. if we presume the handle is the standard 5 feet.. with an 18 inch blade .. then someone can do the math .. lol ...

and with the pix dated 2005 .. thats 5 years growth.. so with the math above.. we can estimate what.. a 22 foot a year annual growth rate .. lol

ken

• basic
    12 years ago

Is it Q. rubra? I've got very sandy soil and Q. ellipsoidalis (Northern Pin Oak) reigns supreme, which is another very fast growing oak. Annual growth of 3' during the first 10-15 years is pretty common. Unfortunately, Oak Wilt has really taken a toll on it. How is the fall color on your oak?

• bengz6westmd
    12 years ago

The big one looks like a typical, handsome Black oak, ken. Leaves way too shiny for Q rubra.

• taxo_man
    12 years ago

WOW! If that tree grew to that size in 5 years, that has got to be the fastest growth rate I have ever seen. How large was the tree when it was planted..

J

Original Author
    12 years ago

hey taxo... the title suggests it was from an acorn.. so what.. 3/4 inch at best tall???

and.. BTW .... i have some moist land available ... should you wish purchase ... its got a bridge over it too.. lol

ken

• taxo_man
    12 years ago

Haha, ah yes...
    That is truly incredible though.. Do you have any other pics between 2000 and 2005.
    Looks like either a black oak, southern red oak, or Shumard's oak...
    Can't quite tell...
    Thanks for the offer on the land, will keep that in mind. :)

J

• poaky1
    12 years ago

I thought that tree was a Burr oak you posted a pic of a while ago. Maybe the burr is beside the tree you posted now. The leaves you posted are probably pin, Nuttals or Shumard. I have 3 Q Robur from acorns planted in 2009 or 2010 ( can't remember without checking the plant marker, and it's cold and snow on the ground ) and one of the seedlings is 9 ft tall. The other 2 are a more normal size of about 4 1/2 ft tall. My largest tree is a pin oak planted in 2003, and it may have been 3 or 4 from the pot bought at Lowes. Just a guess.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Beautiful tree! Amazing that it is an 11 year old sprout!? That is just a babe for an Oak tree. It's hard to believe because the trunk is so husky. Does it gets full sun in that location?

100 years from now, when you and probably your children too are in the grave, that tree will still be giving somebody joy and providing a home for many species. :)

• poaky1
    12 years ago

I didn't get any pics of the pin oak, but here is a 7 year old Quercus prinus and then a 2 year old English oak by the green building {{gwi:401897}}

{{gwi:324799}}

• poaky1
    12 years ago

The English oak in the 2nd pic is the tall 9 ft tall thing, the other is a broccoli plant. It's siblings are only around 41/2 ft tall.