Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msdorkgirl

Help me identify stem/branch?

msdorkgirl
9 years ago

Hi,

I just joined and am usually in the rose section, but I had this one stem branch that I took from a flower arrangement class that I forgot to use in an arrangement, left it outside in water, and it started sprouting. So I put it in soil, and then voila, pretty cluster of small flowers.

The red stem/branch is quite distinctive, but I don't know if that's natural to it or if that was painted. I'll attach another pic after this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (9)

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of the actual whole thing (I didn't think it would really root, so I just stuck it in with the desert rose pot).

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Siberian dogwood, cornus alba

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Huggorm --- thank you so much for your quick response!

I'm kind of interested in trying to actually grow it, so anyone who can give any hints or tips on:

1) if I can grow it in a container
    2) how much space would it take up
    3) what kind of nutrients would it need
    4) would it be ok in Hawaii weather, etc.
    5) is it rooting because there's growth or do I still need to baby it where it is
    6) when should I attempt to remove it from where it is now?

Thanks !

This post was edited by msdorkgirl on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 15:12

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

It would probably prefer Alaska but it might be ok in Hawaii to, I don't know. It might grow to 10' by 10' and isn't demanding. They are very easy to root from cuttings so you can probably move it by now if you want.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if the ID is correct ... and its a red twig dogwood ... i left mine.. at an old house.. when it was 10 feet tall and wide ...

mostly because i didnt prune it heavily every year ...

but as far as i am concerned.. short of bonsai ... that answers your first and second questions ... it is not a long term pot plant ...

i am of the opinion.. that SHRUBS NEVER NEED FERT ... ever ... unless you are torturing it in a pot ... then.. the media needs fert ...

whether or not it is rooting.. will not be known.. until you unpot it ...

as to where any given plant will grow ... give it a try ... but i dont think we have any HA peeps here.. but you never know ... [they go dormant and lose their leaves for me in MI ... the first question might be. whether they have and requisite cold dormancy needs .. that HA might not provide ... i have no clue ...

this is.. in my book.. a run it over with the truck shrub ... plant it in mother earth.. and water it once.. and basically.. ignore it for life.. short of severe drought the first year ...

finally ... when googling ... you HAVE TO USE THE LATIN ... as most every web page uses such.. and sometimes the common names can get confusing... as with this one.. where it appears there are a few different plants called RTD .....

have fun

ken

ps: i know your rose inclination.. is monthly heavy feedings.. and spraying for disease and bugs... etc.. ad nauseum ... been there.. done that ... then wanted some carefree plants.. and moved into shrubs... plant and forget ... do not.. in any sense.. baby them.. as you do.. your roses ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Could be red-osier dogwood -- very similar to Siberian dogwood. These are easy to grow by just cutting a stem in spring & pushing deep in the ground (and keeping watered while it gets established).

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your help!

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Off subject, but I love your Desert rose. I actually killed one of them by not watering it enough! Will yours not be okay in Hawwaii? Or is it too rainy there?

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I haven't replied, they're my mom's Desert Rose, I have no idea what to do with them or how she takes care of them, but she has many at the house. They do well and are quite common in Hawaii actually.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH