Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilli322

Norfolk Island Pine - separate multiple stems/browning leaf

hilli322
10 years ago

Hello,
I have not separated the root ball, but I tried to thinking the six trees in the pot would be easily separated. My NIP is just over five feet in height. To my demise they were all fused together. Just a few small roots were lost during the surgery and I ended up replanting it all together in a larger pot double in size. Here's my question. It is winter time, my tree is outside, the temp at night is dropping to the mid 40s through the mid 30s and some of the tips and edges are browning. There is a bit of drooping as well. Have I created this damage from my root meddling or is this from the really cold nights?

Please help!! I bought this for my husband (he trusts me with his new love since I have a garden and house full of very delicate plants). He has been "pining" for one for a while now and I would hate for it to die. Also I know this is a tropical plant.

Many thanks in advance!!

Hil

Comments (9)

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

towards the bottom of this thread there some mention of growing Norfolk in cold areas

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg02024859861.html?71

Here is a link that might be useful: here

• hilli322
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks joeinmo!
    I'm still at a loss. I'm not sure what my next move should be "/
    I live in southern CA and I just moved so I'm not too familiar with the micro-climate in my area. Though I do know that it gets colder/hotter during the respective seasons than where I moved from. It doesn't snow, but it may ice. Not all the trees are "yellowing" actually (not yet browning) with droopy leaves just the tallest one. I fear they will all slowly fall to the fate of the tallest. Sigh :(

I will post some pics in a bit

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

These trees get a ton of water in Hawaii, is it getting deep watered?

• Ruffles78
    10 years ago

It's most likely shock from the root surgery and re-potting that has caused the drooping and discoloration. The largest one probably took the brunt of the damage, so if the others were going to die, I'd expect them to already show symptoms. Just keep them watered deeply and regularly, especially if you're gonna get a freeze. The temps you mentioned should not hurt them. In my experience, Norfolk Pines are usually more hardy than they're given credit for. Just make sure to cover them with a sheet if you're expecting a freeze.

It's really just a wait and see at this point. Other than making sure they're well watered and protected from freezing temperatures, there's nothing else to do but hope.

This post was edited by Ruffles78 on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 20:35

• hilli322
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are great!! Thank you so much! =D

I have been following gardenweb for a great deal of time now, usually finding my query. This is my first post and I was a bit nervous (for unknown reasons...hehe). I watered it today (I'll admit I was not watering it much due to other readings and it being winter here). I will ensure it gets plenty water and keep a close eye.

A quick question: If lack of water was/is the culprit is survival on the higher or lower side of the spectrum?

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

I texted a friend of mine who works at an arboretorium and he said they mist their Norfolk Pines a lot

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you might also want to try the houseplant forum ....

though it is a tree ... in its native situation.. by potting it .. it is now officially a houseplant .... and as such.. harder to water ...

and since its a common houseplant... i would expect much knowledge over in that forum ..

browning of any of the plant.. other than the growth tips.. is probably related to the the perfection of watering and the season ... and in this case.. complicated by the transplant ....

if i repotted.. it would not be in sun fro at least a month .... to allow the root mass to get its act together again ....

i wonder what type of potting media you used ...

good luck

ken

ps: it is not a pine ... no matter what the common name says ....

• hilli322
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much! I'll keep in mind it's not really a pine and more is a houseplant. I will also keep those thirsty roots well quenched and parched needles misted! As of now it is hanging in there.

PS: the reason for the lack of a photo is when I get home it is dark :(

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I KNOW that in zone 10 Big Pine key Florida keys, they grow outdoors in the ground. They are native to Tazmania and nearby areas on the continent of Australia. If they are potted as a houseplant they put several trees in each pot. I have one myself. You may already know this stuff. If you p[lant it outdoors it will need to adjust to light levels outdoors vs in your yard. That will take lots of little by little adjusting if it can be done.Good luck.