Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Platanus x acerifolia 'Grejtn'

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

I saw this one (sold as "Rockford Road" planetree) on Sooner Plant Farm's website.

The bark is very, very white, which is appealing to me, but I see absolutely NOTHING regarding its anthracnose or powdery mildew resistance.

Does anyone know anything?

Comments (7)

• hamburglar1
    9 years ago

Looks like the literature emphasizes the bark appearance, but does not mention disease resistance. It's likely that if it were a major consideration in the breeding, it would be mentioned.

I thought about buying a planetree for my sister's property a couple years ago but was scared away by what I read about leaf scorch in my area (Ohio). I don't know much about diseases, but this is apparently a bacterial version that is on the rise and none of the cultivars have resistance to it.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Hair, offhand, if they're not specifically breeding for anthracnose resistance, it prb'ly has none.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Beng is correct; if it had resistance they would be touting it.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seems useless for most of us, then.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Under Plant Characteristics on the Sooner page on this tree it says "Disease Resistant". The narrative at the top of the same page says this tree is from Greenleaf. The photo on the Sooner page (attributed to Greenleaf) shows a street planting with three white trunks among some more conventional-looking ones, as though somebody at Greenleaf saw a planting of mixed clones or seedlings along a Rockford Road somewhere, based the new cultivar on propagation of one or more of the white individuals.

Unless Greenleaf has grown this stock for years in one or more locations where disease pressure is heavy the "Disease Resistant" designation made by Sooner (but not seen by me on the Greenleaf page on this tree) would presumably be based on observation of the original planting. If the Rockford Road site has not been subjected to the same level of disease as many locations elsewhere, where the trademarked introduction might be planted in the future then likelihood of success in these other places may not have been established.

Here is a link that might be useful: Platanus x acerifolia 'GREJTN' ROCKFORD ROAD(TM) PLANETREE from Greenleaf Nursery

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 13:00

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I don't care if saying this makes me unpopular; I've seen more than once that those who tout various "convictions" are often the ones who are most likely to be dishonest in business dealings. And yes, that's been my experience with nurseries, too. Now that they no longer seem to be trading, I'll say that certain bulb merchant in the SE who touted their spiritual sanctity and superiority sent me so many mislabeled plants I stopped ordering from them.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 18:26

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

I will interject a small tidbit to this: powdery mildew on the native sycamore's is very uncommon in my area and a disease resistence determination would be impossible. I am assuming the Greenleaf bboy is talking is the one near Tahlequah, OK which is also just a few miles from soonerplantfarm's location. I drive by both of them at least a couple times a year.

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 18:29