Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Nice roots from Broken Arrow

fairfield8619
10 years ago

This is the second Davidia 'Sonoma' that I have planted this winter. Nice healthy white,not rootbound- nothing bad at all. I really like everything that I've gotten from them. And no, I work for them.

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Since the core of the root mass - where most severe deformities are usually located - is not open to view how do we know this one gets the all clear? Did you feel around in there, too?

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Bboy,
    Cant speak for the original poster, but the plants I got from BA all had GREAT root systems. Wish everything came that way.

Arktrees

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Such observations may be useful where the source mentioned is the grower that produced the stock purchased. Otherwise, it is a matter of what the retailer used happened to be sent the year you ordered, and may not indicate a consistent pattern that can be attributed to that retailer at all. As with much merchandise sold these days, most stock of a particular item offered throughout the country (or an even larger area) may sometimes originate from the same one or two wholesale suppliers - I once asked about a less usual tree encountered in a British specialty nursery, to be told they had gotten it from Oregon.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Of course that is true. However if quality plants continue to originate from a seller, then it is beneficial for everyone to know about it. And if a sellers plants are consistently superior, then they obviously are not following the "standard" with whatever they might be doing. A well known online merchants that so many people rave about, actually have no better than average plants at best, in my experience. They just seem better at making excuses and getting people to believe them than most. That and ridiculous shipping that covers cost of the occasional replacement for those not so easily persuaded.

Arktrees

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Looks great, as long as there's no knot hidden under that.

I've never tried Broken Arrow. Might have to now.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No knot, this was before I more or less bare rooted it. I almost try to wash as much of the media off as I can since my soil is "fine sandy loam" and I don't think it would mesh very well with that coarse mix. What you see is virtually the all the root system.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I honestly think BA bareroots their decidoius stock or does not grow them in a ban pot, just straight to 1 gallon.

The trees I barerooted just weren't what you'd expect.

You could always call Adam Wheeler and ask about rootstock to see what they grow. Seems like he is open to conversing via email and phone during the slow season.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Mannn... looking at BA root balls is nearly as exhilarating as seeing the plants themselves. Nice nice nice!!!

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw no evidence of any ban pot, or if they did use them they didn't stay there very long.
    They also have five selections of Davidia but they are out right now, maybe when the new catalog is up. I'm really partial to 'Lady Sunshine', looks like it would burn easily though.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner