Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you know this tree seedling?

Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 15:40

I tried the always reliable Name That Plant forum, but no ideas!

These come up every so often in the garden. I think it's a tree; the stem is already woody at 6" tall. Any thoughts? Thanks!

photo aaa2165_zps53202719.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you know this tree seedling?

Are the leaves opposite or alternate? Have you looked around for a possible parent...maybe in a neighbor's yard?

o

I'm pretty sure it's not any kind of mulberry that grows near me, but it does remind me of a mulberry all the same. The dense leaf arrangement looks more like an herbaceous weed.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 1:12

They are alternate.

Bingo, CousinFloyd, we have a winner. It's a Paper Mulberry, Broussonetia papyrifera.

There's one two houses down and across the road.

Thank you Brandon and CousinFloyd!

The usual weed tree seedlings here are Eucalyptus, Camphor, Schinus molle, Jacaranda, Alianthus. A new one to add to the list. Now, to yank it out.

o

You have to respect the natural way of planting seeds. Feed the birds and squirrels some tasty berries, and then let them plant the tree somewhere encased in fertilizer

o

Knuttle, I like to collect Walnuts for the squirrels and they end up burying a lot of them and now I've got baby Walnuts sprouting up all over the yard, well mostly in the garden beds. I've transplanted a few to make a little grove area. I'm also finding baby Dogwoods and Elderberries from the berries of trees and shrubs I originally planted as seedlings, either spread around by the birds or sprouting right underneath.

I love it when nature does the propagation work for me. Fun! Well, except for the invasive plants, way too many of those...

o

Same goes for beech trees over here, the closest grove is a mile or two away but I have lots of beech seedlings all over my land anyway. I think I have to thank the jays (Garrulus glandarius) for that but I don't know for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here