Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joncraig_gw

Pruning advice for Fireglow J. Maple?

JonCraig
10 years ago

Hi again all,

Another more question while I'm looking at my trees without leaves. I'm confident enough to prune crossing branches, etc., but I'm still enough of a newbie that I'm here to ask advice about the more subjective side of things. Do you see any need of pruning on this ~7 ft Fireglow?

Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:495965}}

{{gwi:495967}}

{{gwi:495969}}

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i see no need at all ...

there are very few rules which depend on the tree itself..

a tree is a tree ...

what changes.. is what your goal is ... e.g.: height as i noted in your other post??? ..

we dont really prune.. on a calender.. or for no real reason ...

define your goal ... and how and what you prune becomes apparent ...

i might pull the mulch back an inch or two from the trunk itself .... in any soil.. other than my 100% mineral sand.. you dont want any retained moisture on bark ... its not made for such... as roots are ...

where are you.. that z6b looks so toasty.. it was 3 degrees in MI this morning ....

ken

• JonCraig
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm on the northern end of what's considered middle TN. It was an unseasonable 55 or so today. So I was happily looking for any excuse to spend my day off outside! :-)

Goals = have a nice, healthy ornamental tree.

My reason for posting these all today was a) I was outside & thought it would be a good idea and b) With the leaves off, it's easier (for me, anyway) to look at/notice the branch structure.

I didn't see anything I wanted to prune, but wanted another set of eyes to take a look & teach my untrained eye. ;-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

nothing wrong with that ...

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Again, try maple forum as there are some experts there. Around here we only do big pruning in dormant season. Smaller wood in May. J maples are a tree that I would not hesitate to look for a consulting arborist/aesthetic pruner. It is useful to develop a plan for the tree and prune accordingly, which is generally a multi-year, ongoing project. With thoughtful pruning you can enhance the beauty, structure and value of these lovely trees.

Sara

• kenptn
    10 years ago

I agree with the other Ken, It looks okay. Sooner or later our Mother will prune it for you with a nice spring freeze or ice storm or blistering drought or straight line winds or... Clarksville area? I'm between Murfreesboro and McMinnville.