Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unexpected generosity

Posted by floral_uk 8/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 16:34

Today I went to pick up some trees from the Parks Department for a kids' planting project at work. I was expecting 8 small bare root whips, 1 - 2 feet, of 4 of our natives: Prunus avium, Sorbus aucuparia, Acer campestre and Malus sylvestris. I found them waiting for me with the roots wrapped in a black bin liner and propped against the wall of the offices. All at least 5 feet tall, beautifully branched, fully labelled. Plus one extra cherry.

Me: These are fantastic. Thank you so much.
Receptionist: That's OK. There are spiral guards and mower guards there too.
Me: Good grief. I wasn't expecting that.
Receptionist: Oh, that's OK.
Me: And do you know where to send the invoice?
Receptionist: Well, she said not to bother for such a small number.
Me: ......

Well what would you have said?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unexpected generosity

Sweeeeeet. One good turn deserves another...
hortster

o

I will love them as if they are my babies.

o

Nice score, imposter! ;^) Good surprises are hard to come by these days, especially in the nursery business. Maybe you guys across the pond have it all figured out!

Nice to have you posting over here again, Flora.

o

"Y'all are wonderful!" (but then they'd be sure to peg you for a southerner)

Very nice indeed.

o

Thank you?

For some reason, tree types seem especially prone to spurts of unexpected generosity - speaking as the beneficiary of 2 completely unexpected bonus trees because one local nursery has taken over another so all the old stock is going cheap, including giving stuff away if you are considered especially keen - I only popped in for a berberis (3pounds!) and came home with a John Downie crab and betula albosinensis septentrionalis (massive score!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here