Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocks911

Live Oak pruning from ice break

rocks911
10 years ago

We're in the middle of an extreme Arctic bast here in Dallas and the ice storm that accompanied the blast broke limbs on my Live Oaks from the ice weight. The worst of the breaks involves a limb that forks, and one of the forks has a break midway on the limb, so should I cut the limb completely off, back to the fork? Or cut it clean at the break and leave the stub?

Comments (13)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Pruning advice on a forum will need a pic for sure.

Sorry to hear about your Oak, hopefully it will heal up nicely for you.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

You should practically never leave a stub when pruning a tree. It sounds like you need to do a google search to learn how to properly prune, or, you can check out pruning instructions on the International Society of Arboriculture's website. I have linked one of the most relevant pages from that site, below.

If you more specific advice, we'll need a good picture or two.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Mature Trees

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

cut off all hanging weight .. wherever .. presuming its within your capability ... it can even be beyond the break ... lets just reduce the effects of gravity ... doing further damage ...

and get some pix while you are at it ...

then wait a few weeks until its pleasant enough outside to do the work .. without freezing off your personal areas .. lol ..

never forget.. THERE IS NEVER ANY HURRY WITH TREES ...

AND TAKE COPIOUS PIX.. SO YOU CAN STUDY WHY THEY BROKE .. carp .. lol .. so you can define why .. and perhaps do so preventative pruning in the future...

key words: crotch angels and included bark ...

ken

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Time to pull out this link again. See link below for methods of restoration pruning. These techniques were developed at the University of Florida to deal with hurricane damage, but they will also work for pretty much any kind of storm damage. Follow these guidelines, and many of your trees can be restored. Most "tree services" will just hack and chop, and top, so arm yourselves with knowledge and don't let them tell you otherwise. Hope it helps someone.

Arktrees

http://hort.ufl.edu/woody/restore.shtml

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Pruning

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Duh, Ken, they broke because they were covered with ice. They are live oaks and have leaves that are also covered with ice. They aren't strong enough to hold their own weight and a ton of ice. We always have that problem with ice and heavy snow storms. Live Oaks always get damaged. Our trees aren't exposed to ice storms often. The last bad one we had was in 1980. We had a heavy wet snow that really hurt live oaks about 4 years ago, though. They can survive 110 degrees farenheit summers without supplemental water once they are established, too. It has nothing to do with crotch angles. They evolve to survive in the weather we have most of the time.

bk

10 years ago

ok.. bkay is right.. you need learn NOTHING new in your life.. and just do what bkay says .. after all.. bkay is the be all and end all of tree.. and more particularly.. live oak knowledge in this world ...

on the other hand.. if you live with a quest for knowledge.. general or specific.. you can follow my suggestions... read up a little on such ... and try to observe on your own tree ..

as noted.. NEVER leave stubs.. unless of course.. bkay has some prime live oak rule that indicates such is requisite on live oak ... then do whatever bkay says ...

good luck

ken .. who lives in the world of heavy, wet, sticky snow.. frequently covered by ice ... called MI ... and if you cant prune to prevent it on a young tree ..... well.. you arent really trying hard enough ... on a young tree of course .. there are limits to spending money on such ...

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Ok, Ken, you know better than that. I'm just saying that all live oaks are damaged here everytime we have an ice storm. The last one was on new year's eve in 1979. That's 33 years! It's an unusual occurance. I realize you live with heavy wet snow and ice. We do not have the same trees you have. Ours do not develop an ability to withstand ice storms. They develop an ability to withstand heat and drought. The Southern and Texas live oaks are wide, spreading trees. They generally have wide, open crotches. That's the kind of live oaks that live here.

Am I wrong to assume that you have different kind of trees than we have?

Did someone do something in your cheerios this morning?

bkay

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Ken is in Michigan. Your live oaks won't grow there. Q. Alba is close in structure though. I am sad to hear that live oaks can be damaged badly by snow, though. I have a hybrid which I think is a hybrid of the 2 that grow near you, the Texas and southern live (quercus Fusiformis and Virginiana) which has taken the cold well, last winter and so far this winter, I hope the snow won't maim it. Njoasis had mentioned that being something that may happen. I hope you can get your's pruned back to shape.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Ken and I know each other from the hosta forum. He's not usually this testy.

I was out and about today. My Shumard was one of the most damaged trees I saw. The Live Oaks in the park are hanging low. I didn't get out of the car to see how much damage there is. I'll take my camera tomorrow and get out of the car. This neighborhood seems to be worst than most. We're on the northeast side of Dallas. I sent an email to one of the most advertised firms asking about restoration pruning. No answer yet. It might be several days.

bk

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I am a zone 6 Pennsylvania, everyday citizen. If any of these other posters comes up with a seemingly important subject matter to post about, Let them post it.
    Quercus Virginiana

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I think everyone is in agreement Live oak are not used to heavy ice loads.

Heck, most trees here are not.

I also have noticed after a mild spring when there finally is a strong thunderstorm trees in general lose lots of branches. During a typical stretch with every other week storms you lose a branch here and there with probably the same overall loss.

Now, stretch that out over a five year period and things are different I would bet. A tree grown in a sheltered location just is not forced to branch properly to hold the wind or ice loads one grown in the open is. Same if I shelter my kid his whole life then expect him to be good at sports. His body just will not have the support structure.

Look at new home lots where a thin line of forest trees are saved. Many are damaged by their new found wind loads after living fine in the same spot for decades.

But I think we are all in general agreement.

• jim042
    8 years ago

I have 2 live oak trees in the front yard that have suffered ice/snow damage. Part of this was several years ago, but then again in January we had 1 tree that suffered a lot of damage. Previously the main stem was broken off, but they recovered pretty well from that. Here is a picture of the one I am trying to save now. Would appreciate your response.

8 years ago

you should have started your own post

ken