Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to germinate Katsura?

Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 18:16

Greetings,
I have collected some fresh Katsura (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) seeds from a 20 year-old tree planted as a memorial to a loved one. I have read on the Sheffield site that they germinate in 10 days at 70F. This has not been my experience. Help?Cercidiphyllum japonicum, Katsura Tree
Thank you,
seedmoney

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to germinate Katsura?

seed

I germinated them at 70F in common potting soil, in a pot that was covered in a bag to maintain humidity. I probably sowed 30 seeds in the same pot and only one germinated (I don't remember how long it took). After germination it is essential that you maintain even moisture. I did that by keeping the pot covered with a plastic bag.

They are not good seeds to germinate. But the plant is worth it.

o

I've always gotten very good germination rates ( >90%? ). I do it pretty much the same way. For me, these are some of the easiest seeds to germinate I've seen.

o

Need stratification.

Lots of info if do search with
"germination of katsura tree seed site:edu" - but no quotes

Here is a link that might be useful: germination of katsura tree seed site:edu

o

"Need stratification."

Mine haven't! And, almost all sources say no pretreatment (which would include stratification) is needed. Stratification won't hurt, but I doubt it going to make a huge amount of difference. If the seeds aren't germinating, it sounds like there may be some problem somewhere (bad seeds, improper moisture, or something).

o

Apparently they sprout fine without stratification, but they seem to do okay with it also. I winter sowed 12 seeds in January that were collected at the Arnold Arboretum last fall. According to my records the first sprouted on April 5th. I got 2 seedlings last Spring, and they grew pretty quickly the first year - they are almost 2 feet tall. I'm not sure about this species hardiness but they're over-wintering in the garage with the rest of the babies and tender plants (Salvia B&B) anyway.

Here's a pic of the baby seedlings, May 11th -

o

I collected a paper lunch sack full of Cercidiphyllum magnificum seeds. Then I made a couple of raised beds, and then sowed the seeds right away that Fall. Springtime came and the seed bed looked like I had sown grass. I eventually sold over a thousand of them. One order was for 600.
I haven't had to germinate any since because I get a few volunteers every year from the ones I have left.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here