Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nurseryman33

The strength of grape vines

nurseryman33
9 years ago

As I was cutting down some dead elm trees, this one got held up by some very strong grape vines. They are at least 1 1/2" thick at the base.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

they are so strong.. tarzan could use them ...

i damaged some trees once ..

then i came up with the bright idea.. of trimming the up to about 8 feet ... and FORGETTING ABOUT THEM ... a dead vine wont bother a tree ...

meanwhile ... treat the cut stump with RU or stump killer.. 6 or 700 times.. until it dies ...

actually.. now that i think of it.. i was also battling poison ivy in the same size range ... and really didnt have a way to dispose of such.. since it cant be burnt.. so i left it hanging ...

in other words... in pulling it all down.. you are working way to hard. . IMHO ...

ken

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

"treat the cut stump with RU or stump killer"

It only takes once if you do it right. I've never had one survive my efforts.
    I've seen some that were easily 3-4" right on my land, in woods around here, 5-6". The fascinating thing is when you cut them wiht a chainsaw they don't seem like normal trunks. Just a big bundle of stringy bark or something.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the PI i was trying to kill.. was probably 100 years old.. and it was a 4 to 6 inch rhizome type root.. that crawled underground ...

and every time i applied killer ... it sprouted up.. 4 to 6 weeks later ... about 6 to 12 inches back up the root ...

it literally took 2 years ... to be done with it ...

grape.. you are right.. one properly applied shot.. should do it ..

but on both .. the downside.. is the decades of seed that will continue to pop up.. though babes are rather easy to kill ...

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Off topic, but since it was mentioned...

I've consistently (and I've done hundreds) had the opposite experience with poison ivy and wild grape vines. When I am able to treat freshly-cut PI stumps (even the really big ones), I've had excellent results from single treatments. I have grapevines that are still winning the battle (well, not completely giving up, anyway) after more than a year of intermittent treatments with glyphosate. Even treatment in the fall, when the sap is falling, doesn't always work for me with wild grapes.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Just curious why you are cutting out the dead wood in that hedgerow? It doesn't look like it's an ornamental setting nor near any structures. Snags are critical sources of food and cavities for birds.

When I started clearing out the Norway maples and other invasives out back, I left up the old red pine snags. Was able to observe 2 years of Bluebirds' nesting in natural cavities as a result. Unfortunately, they all eventually fall over (unless they're being held up by vines!).

• nurseryman33
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mostly because I don't want dead elm trees or branches falling on my wife's ponies, who graze that area between the hedgerow and the fence. I also use the wood in my wood stove, and I plant other trees where the dead elms were. I have left some other dead trees for the birds in areas where I don't care if they fall over (there are some in that line of cottonwoods in the background of the photo.)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz