Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socal2warm

cherry and cherry blossom tree questions

Socal2warm
9 years ago

Three questions relating to cherry trees. I am wondering if anyone can help answer my question. I know there's lots of knowledgeable people in this forum, so hopefully someone here knows everything when it comes to cherry trees.

I planted two kwanzan and one yoshino cherry blossom tree seedlings. The yoshino put out a few blooms in late October, but it has been two months and it has not leafed yet. Both the kwanzans have remained dormant, despite being planted 4 months ago. They all get plenty of sun, and located in warm dry climate, with very mild winters (in the last 10 years there has only been hail twice, never any snow).

I also just planted a bing cherry. Now I know it is not going to get any chilling hours in this climate. It never gets freezing here. In the winter if it reaches 50�F, that is considered very cold here.

My first question is whether my cherry blossom seedlings are ever going to break dormancy and grow.
Could they have gotten too stressed and will never send out leaves, and will just slowly die? or is the fact that they are not going to get any chill, combined with the fact that they are just leafless seedlings right now, going to lead to their death?

My second question is how well do you think the cherry trees will be able to grow here, particular the bing. I have been doing a lot of reading, and supposedly bing does not do that well in climates were it does not get any chill, but apparently some people have been able to get bing cherries to produce fruit.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg0320194916480.html?19

Is the lack of chill going to throw off the cherry tree's leafing and hurt it's growth? What exactly happens when a sweet cherry tree doesn't get any chill ?

My third question is whether the cherry blossom trees will be able to act as a pollinator for the bing cherry tree. I know that bing cherry trees need pollination by another variety of cherry to produce fruit. I do not see why the yoshino could not act as a pollinator. Fruit cherry trees and ornamental cherry trees are closely related.

They have made crosses between apricots and plums, and even a cross between a cherry and a plum. I have tried to do some research into this, and it seems the issue with pollination is that most species of cherries require pollen that is not too genetically identical, a natural defense against inbreeding. (it has to do with RNA sequencing, if both strings of RNA from each parent match up, it will set off a trigger that will prevent development)
And another minor issue is that there are a few over-bred varieties of cherry that are unable to produce enough pollen to be able to pollinate, though of course they can be pollinated by another cherry tree.

I have never been able to find any information about cross breeds between fruiting cherry trees and ornamental cherry trees. But I would think ornamental cherry trees could be used as a pollinator. (the characteristics of the parent plant that supplies the pollen does not affect the characteristics of fruit which forms on the other parent tree)

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Try Sunset Publishing > Plant Finder > Prunus for cultural tips. Use the Zone Finder to relate where you are to where they say each kind will grow in the descriptions.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you might also want to try the fruit forum ...

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I'm confused. Unless you are in the Southern hemisphere I would have expected your trees to be going into dormancy now, not out. You should expect leaves in the spring if they are alive, not December. They should have had leaves on them in September when you say they were planted unless they were imported from somewhere much colder with an earlier autumn. I know nothing about the climate of S Ca but if they have had no leaves since planting I would fear they are dead.

Regarding chill hours. You don't have to have freezing temperatures to count as chill hours. Roughly speaking chill hours are hours between 32-45 degrees. You could research Bing and see how many chill hours it needs.

You also say your trees are seedlings. If they really are seedlings chances are they are not going to produce trees like the parents. Did you perhaps mean saplings, or just young trees?

• jean001a
    9 years ago

A Bing cherry tree growing in southern California will do reasonably well the first several years, just enough to get your hopes up.
    After that, it will start dwindling away, more & more each year. And will eventually look so sad you'll remove it.

If you want a tree that will grow and produce cherries, ask at your nearest independent garden center which cherry will do well where you live. Several will. But only if you obtain the correct kind. Ask when it/they will be available. (In SoCal, bareroot tree fruits are generally available during Jan. & Feb; sometimes in Dec.)

As for the flowering cherries and other trees that require substantial amounts of chill -- total hours between 32 and 45 during Dec, Jan & Feb, but subtracting all hours above 65F -- will grow but will bloom erratically & will leaf out erratically.

So save yourself a lot of grief and grow "low-chill" fruit tree(s) suited to your region. The large garden centers know which ones they are. But you need to ask.

One big problem: Just because a garden center in your region sells a specific fruit tree doesn't mean it will thrive there.

Jean,
    who gardened in Long Beach, CA, for 30-some years.

• Tattnall
    9 years ago

I'm from Macon, Georgia, which boasts that it's the Yoshino Cherry Tree Capital of the World, and I'll just repeat what a horticulturalist and professor of environmental biology said to me: "the cherry tree is a tree that's not very good at being a tree." We planted twelve in the park two years ago, and at least half have died. So they're a tough tree to grow anywhere. Kwanza is a far better choice, though it's not nearly as beautiful in flower (or out).

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

>So they're a tough tree to grow anywhere'Somei-yoshino' ('Yoshino') and 'Akebono' are common in the PNW and grow quite large here.

>Kwanza is a far better choice, though it's not nearly as beautiful in flower (or out)The name is of course 'Kanzan' ('Kwanzan') and it actually looks better in leaf than the other. But most Japanese cherries are like tropical orchids anyway, that is wonderful in flower but quite utilitarian-looking the rest of the time.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ornamental cherry trees are difficult to grow in warmer climates, especially if the humidity level is high, cherries are very susceptible to disease and root issues. They also seem to grow much less vigorously in the absence of adequate winter chill.

I think the foliage is quite attractive looking, almost like a small elm tree.