Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Things to do in December?

About the only thing on my December schedule to to take some Metasequoia cuttings for rooting around Christmas.

Then there is shopping for spring orders.

What else is there to do or what else do you all have planned?

Comments (10)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Pruning time for oaks in Texas as the wilt fungal mats and beetles that spread the spores are supposedly least active here now until February.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

oh dude ....

sit in my house.. and freeze my buttacles off .;..

and wonder what you will come up with next ... lol

seriously dude.. with teenagers.. and the dullness of winter in MI ... every day is a challenge not to commit suicide ...

spring orders.. yeah.. sure.. like i will still be around .....

ken

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, you have me worried there! Maybe some wintertime grafting could keep you busy.

I have a couple winter time hobbies also. I dabble in the model train thing, I do some web work and am going through the coin collection this year. Mercifully most winters I don't have to really put up the hot rod even if I drive it less, last hear was an exception though.

The worst for me though was the heat two summers back. That will sap the life right out of you. I know its even bad in low humidity states. Afterall, when I visited Phoenix I saw they have a dome for air conditioning on their baseball stadium!

• basic
    9 years ago

This is a weak substitute for having your hands in the dirt, but I recently watched the movie Greenfingers, which I thought was terrific. On the other hand, it would take a real plant geek to get excited about a movie like this. Rare is the horticultural-themed movie with actors the caliber of Helen Mirren and Clive Owen. Check it out.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Is the ground frozen where you are? If it isn't...

1.) Bargain Bulbs: You could pick up bargain bulbs and plant them...success rates are a bit lower, but you can get bulbs really cheap.

2.) Water: Water newly planted trees and shrubs before the ground freezes.

3.) Move Volunteers: You could move volunteers you regard as expendable.

4:) Winter sowing. You can plant seeds in pots inside with the idea you will move them outside in Spring.

You can plant acorns.

5.) You can prune.

6.) Marking: You can mark the locations of trees and shrubs so they don't fall victim to snow plows

7.) Protect Plants: Spray broadleaf evergreens with antidesicants. (Although I've heard conflicting accounts on if they work.) Put tarps on evergreens?

Personally, the only thing I do in December is buy potted holly. I use it as a Christmas decoration, then I plant it after Christmas, and surprisingly it usually survives.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

dude!!!!

like with teenagers ...... i have a spare few cents.. to have a hobby ...

who do you think i am.. the golden khan???

figure that one out. lol

just you wait.. until your dwarf infestation turn into teens...

this weekend.. a winter formal.. $25 for the door.. plus a dress.. and shoes.. and hose .... disregarding she is going with girlfriends.. and not a dude ...

crikey man ...

R & R is all i have.. as a hobby .... see link ...

ken

ps: and lets not discuss.. my DRUM MAJOR .... is getting a varsity jacket from daddy for xmas..... dont get me wrong.. i am relishing.. MOST .... every minute of it all.....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• War_Eagle
    9 years ago

Ken I am right there with you except I can trump you with a new choc. lab puppy (from the pound) for the 11 year old girl for Christmas.....its all going to kill me! Except.....I do have frequent warm sunny days in the winter so at least I can be out and about in the yard.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

wreath-making, swag-making, garlands and every other kind of holiday decorations you can think of. For wreaths magnolia foliage is popular. Local variations such as for me oyster shells are popular. This one also includes boxwood and winterberry.
    {{gwi:2123495}}

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Digging, weeding, mulching and pruning the soft fruit. Walking and enjoying bark, tree outlines and winter flowers. Bringing in the forced hyacinths. Watching for the first snowdrops.

• subtropix
    9 years ago

I just hope I finish raking up the leaves.

No time here.