Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Natural bonsai

poaky1
10 years ago

Here are some pictures of a tree that has maintained this size or hasn't grown much since I was in school. I graduated in 1988. I think it is a white pine. I am not sure when it started it's life, it has just always been the{{gwi:499520}}DSC00342_zpse28f742e.jpg"/> {{gwi:499522}}re. You can see the large flat rock stopping the roots right under from going deep.

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Looks like Pinus resinosa.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

You don't think the utility line maintenance has anything to do with it?

• Tn_Tree_Man
    10 years ago

Looks like the leader was cut sometime in the past by the power company during tree trimming. Try to get a closer look at it and look at the trunk to see if it has been cut.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, you can see the current branch ends are growing multiple inches per year - and there is a somewhat more upright branch near the center that is coming up off to the side, as though attached to the main trunk below a point where the main trunk was topped.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need to look at the power wire in respect to the tree top, but I think that there are several feet between the top and the wire. If they are very close, I should be embarrassed for not recognizing the reason myself.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The top power wire must be coated with rubber. The crown top is untouched, but you can see the outside branch where the top wire rests. You may be right about road crews beheading it, but I don't remember it being "topped". That may have happened when I was a kid, too young to notice it. I THINK that power lines MAY stop growth, I've heard it said that palm trees can be affected by power lines, though not necessarily burnt by them. You are probably correct about it being Pinus Resinosa. The ends kind of go up, instead of straight out.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Unless the tree was touching/shorting-out the lines, the lines, especially the relatively low voltage lines like those shown in the picture, would not impact the tree's growth.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

If anything power lines here seem to have a power of making folks plant trees under them. Then the trees do their duty and reach for the lines ;)

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This tree wasn't planted by anyone lately. I would say it has been there for 34 + years. That's why I made a big deal of it. I may be wrong but, would a Pinus Resinosa put out a single trunk after being headed back? I can take more pictures if needed, but it only has one trunk, all the way to it's top. This top is very short, as you can see. I have passed it for years and always wondered why it remained so short. I can try to take pics from other angles if anyone is intrigued. If it just appeared within the past couple years, I wouldn't have bothered posting it.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

The length of the individual shoots, between the nodes it is making now is how fast it is growing each year.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will try to take better pics. I will need to park my car and walk on top of the slope. It is near a huge cable TV tower, if that means anything. It may take a couple days, but i'll try to take some pics from closer and higher on the slope.