Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leojy

My Christmas Tree is not drinking water!?

leojy
15 years ago

I have bought a real Christmas tree two days ago, and realized it did not drink water, so I thought it was because it's not dry yet.

So, I waited and I waited.

However, today I decorated my christmas tree, without verifying if it drank any water. Unfortunately, I realized that it was not drinking water at all when I finished decorating.

I know that I should cut the bottom, but with it being all decorated already, there is no way I am going to redo those 3 hours of decorating again.

Is there anything that I could do to save my tree? Thank you. Thank you.

P.S. I have verified my tree, and I can still say that it is alive because needles are not falling in excess and when pulling gently a branch, practically no needles fall.

Comments (6)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    15 years ago

My guess is the bottom inch, two, or however many did dry up and the sap in there solidified to it can't soak up more water.

MAYBE something like an old tree holder can be rigged to hold the tree up in place and with a friend's help you can cut the bottom inches off with a sawzall. Not exactly risk free to yourself or the tree though. Only other thought in my mind is you can drill lots of holes in the trunk and stick the tree in deep water.

I've never tried either so good luck.

• leojy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've tried the second solution, I've done many holes... hopefully it is going to drink.

Merry Christmas!

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Yes: Make a fresh cut and make sure the end of the butt is down in the water at all times. I have found here that they really soak up the water and you have to watch that they don't end up sitting high and dry.

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

If you cant see yourself pulling the tree out of whatever-wherever you have it, then just make sure there is ample water around the base and see if it lessens in volume.
    Do make sure the water is warmish.

What is your intention for this tree---do you intend to plant it out of doors after its done Christmasing.
    Don't leave lights on with no one in the room....epecially kids.
    Keep watering it as long as the bucket will accept it.
    If you intend to plant this tree in the spring....it will not survive indoors for more than the week or two in the room. Put it outside.

Give it a protected zone and put it in as large a container as you can see the tree needing. Water it well so it cant go dry. Mostly protect it from winds.
    Get it into the ground as soon as you can.

If you don't intend to try to keep it going outside, then put it outside anyway---stand it up as best you can and let the birds use it as a resting spot and hang maybe some suet or seed packet from its branches.

Then in the spring, dispose of it.

• goodhors
    15 years ago

We cut our tree last weekend, and that beauty is sucking up about a gallon or more a day. I fill the stand morning and night, to keep it from being dry.

Tree is a ConColor? with very soft, 2 inch needles. Not huge, about 6ft and narrow. Looks like they shape them with a hedge trimmer!! However it is a pretty tree, pretty thick, good shape, fills the spot just right. We have used fresh cut Blue Spruce, Frasier Firs other years, and they drink well each day. Need a LOT of daily water.

We only could keep our live Christmas tree inside a week. With warm house the Nursery warned us that tree would "wake up" and start growing if inside more than the week. This was a smaller tree, balled root which weighed about 300#! I said the work of moving it was too much, along with short time to view it and having to prepare a hole in the frozen ground for planting. Too much for the season. Just did rooted tree twice, a real chore.

I usually leave our cut tree up at least 2 weeks, maybe 3. We put it up just before Christmas, so it is fresh to last that long time. I am more of Christmas starts at the 23rd, on thru Feast of the 3 Kings. No EARLY Christmas stuff for us, we prefer to drag it out! Enjoy tree after Christmas, with no seasonal pressure.

Being so fresh, watered adequately, our tree lasts well, not shedding many needles before going back outside. It gets leaned against another tree for bird shelter near the bird feeders the rest of winter. Does keep the needles well outside too without water.