Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmacsimus66

Streetspire oak vs. Regal Prince oak ?

D McElhaney Sr
9 years ago

Hello all,
Just wondering what the differences are between these two differently named upright narrow hybrid oak trees ? Is one better than the another ? What about your StreetSpire oak tree do you like, or dislike ? What do you like, or dislike about your Regal Prince oak tree ? Fall collors, dropsnthe leaves, or do they hang on...... etc....
Thanks,

Comments (37)

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Street Spire and Crimson Spire are English and White Oak hybrids so the texture is different than that of Regal Price due to the different shaped leaves of this English and Swamp Oak hybrid.

I get a russet color on my Street Spire and Crimson Spire oaks.

Regal Prince is either tan or a rich golden yellow.

Street Spire and Regal Prince dropped all their leaves. Crimson Spire retains leaves in the winter. Some hate it, some love it. I love Oaks that retain their foliage into winter.

I use columnar oaks to break up the space in between pyramidal conifers so I can't say one is better than the other.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

are you the dude ... who has a sidewalk strip to fill ??

plant both.. cut down one.. when it fails to please you ...

buy small.. so it doesnt cost a lot of money.. if that is an issue ...

i highly doubt.... you will get the answers you are wishing for ... within the specificity you are hoping for ...

ken

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply whaas. That's the info I was looking for. Leaning towards a tall narrow tree to fill a spot, or a small tree. Wish I could find a chimney fire tree for sale, but I can't find one. All sold out.

Dang ken, run out of meds? If ya haven't, their not working........ LoL.... Now, where did I place that old trusty rusty chainsaw again........

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, almost forgot, whats the zone of the StreetSpire oak? It states 4, but would it also be ok for zone 9 ?

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    update : went with a streetspire oak and the a regal prince. bases covered. loL
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    update on Streetspire oak. 8-13-16
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    update on Quercus Regal Prince oak. 8-13-16
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    trimmed and thinned some. it has shot up like a weed ! O Boy, I think I have it to close to the Quercus Laceyi. ......
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    shed is 14x14, left is the Quercus Laceyi, and the right is the Streetspire oak. if one has to be moved, it's the Streetspire. the Quercus Laceyi is at home there, and growing at incredible rate!
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    update Quercus Regal Prince oak. just flushing out with leaves. I believe this is the third Spring, third Summer for this oak. trying to keep this tall monster straight, and not pitch from winds that we get here seasonally. once the leave flush full, I'll post another pic.
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    correction of above post of update. this is the second summer in the ground at this location. Come on tree, grow grow grow !!!
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    update on the Regal Prince oak tree. the trunk and main leader has increased its girth, and the leaves are out. I can't wait for this tree along with my other oaks to get big. grow grow grow !!!
    cheers
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    update beginning of spring. 4-14-18. trunk has added some girth, and it has leaved out.
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update 11-23-18, growth and fall colors. Happy Holidays.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    4 years ago

Very interesting to see how it has developed. Thank you for sharing its journey.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Welcome hoobv, I'll keep it going as long as I can.
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    oops... hoovb
  • D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

update as of July, 2019: its starting to pour on some growth. it just seems to be growing out, and the trunk is girthing up. its not so much stretching upwards yet which to me would be the norm so far with this tree. i have seen very very small acorns appear on the tree, but they don't really develop, they just seem to disappear over time..... birds maybe. really nice tree so far and look forward for it to provide useable shade from summer morn to noon. :)

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

more pics of the earlier update, I actually found 1 acorn ! LMBO!!!

• whaas_5a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks for the update!

Are you sourcing locally or mail order?

I planted a crimson spire one year later than you did and it was roughly the same size as yours when planting. The damn thing is almost the same size coming up three years later which is a common theme for all the mail order root pouch trees I planted. Your post reminded how trees should be growing 3 to 4 years later.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Whaas_5,
    Yes, i mail ordered 2 which one was bag pouch, and the other the old 5 gal standard. the other 2 were locally purchased in 15 gals. the Q. Regal Prince shown in this thread was a 15.

Congrats on your growing very rapidly also, share it and post a pic! would love to see your scarlet oak! hows the fall colors?
    :)

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ooops! i meant Crimson Spire, sorry. my fingers sometimes don't do what my brain is telling them. ;)

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

End of the growing season, update 11-10-19. The Quercus Regal Prince oak has not really gained very much verticle growth, but has filled out, and widened up as you can see in the pics. The trunk has girthed up a bit more, which is needed. Hope all is well with all!

• mntreegrower
    4 years ago

Can you post a pic of the Regal Prince once the leaves have all dropped? I am curious to see how the branch structure is developing. I have problems with squiggly branch and leader growth on the Regals. Sort of a wavy look to them. The Crimson Spire I have planted don't appear to be doing such. Although, I haven't gone through and winter-pruned them yet.

Thanks for sharing your tree pics.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, I will try and remember to do that for you. if you would shoot me a reminder in about 1-2 months, that might help. the tree is just now starting to drop, but we are still having a lot of warms days. cheers and happy Thanksgiving

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

mntreegrower, here you go. I had to prune back 2 competative leaders on the top this year for the first time. wanting to make sure it keeps a central leader. Merry CHRISTmas.

• mntreegrower
    4 years ago

Your tree looks really good. Makes me even more curious as to why some of mine are so squiggly. I have a second year crop that I haven't checked on/winter pruned because of recent snowstorms and now frigid temps. I'll post some photos if some are like I describe just so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for the pics. Have a great Christmas season.

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, maybe your zone?

• kawerkamp
    4 years ago

I'm considering both varieties of these columnar oaks. Thanks so much for the photo documentary of their growth!!

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome and gonna try and keep em going as long as I can.....

• kawerkamp
    4 years ago

I'm curious--which variety would you say is getting more width to it and which is giving you more vibrant fall color?

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello, so far I have found, the Regal Prince is getting wider, its filling in denser and its trunk is really thicking up more than the Scarlet. Fall colors are good on the Regal, but I would have to say compared to the Scarlet, hands down great color to the Scarlet.

On the Scarlet, it has definitely shown its quicker growth rate abilities, and is stretching upwards at an alarming rate! The Scarlet is staying much more columnar and more open than the Regal Prince. However, the Scarlet is a younger tree than the Regal Prince is, so once it catches up to the Regal Prince, who k he ows all what could change.The trunk of the Scarlet oak is thickening up, but at a much slower rate than the Regal Prince for sure. I'm thinking the Regal Prince is gonna be a bigg'in for sure. Hope this helped, cheers.

• Anna Tru
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for your updates over time. I have been looking for tall slender trees for our small backyard for about 4 yrs now and haven't been able to decide; this post was incredibly helpful!

• D McElhaney Sr
    Original Author
    3 years ago

welcome Anna T, I will try and post some new pics this season. cheers.

• PRO
    M A Jaworski Landscape Design
    last year

Which one dropped its leaves in the fall? I'm looking for one that does not keep its leaves through winter - I understand Streetspire does not keep them; what about Regal Prince?

• Christopher Lyon
    last year

@M.A.Jaworski Regal Prince does drop its leaves in the fall! They turn a really consistent and pretty yellow, and while they don't hold onto their leaves for the winter, they change color later than other trees, so you get to appreciate their color later into the fall.