Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Additional Oak for a Wetland Oak Collection

brandon7 TN_zone7
10 years ago

I plan to add one, and possibly two, species of oaks to an area that is often moist and sometimes flooded. In hot summer months, it's possible for the area to remain dry for some period of time. This area is located in a lower pocket area (so the tree probably needs to be hardy down through zone 6) in East Tennessee. The soil is a good loamy soil and drains fairly well when not under water.

So far, there are some Quercus lyrata, Q michauxii, Q texana, and Q phellos in this area. There are also a few Q macrocarpa not far away. Which Quercus species would you recommend adding to this list to increase diversity? Toughness and dependability are important factors.

Comments (19)

• User
    10 years ago

Quercus palustris (Pin Oak)?

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

cherrybark oak and water oak......Nativ nursery has a nice selection.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Both Schuettes oak (mostly Q bicolor) & pure bicolor do well here in similar conditions (brief standing water in spring). Pin, water, cherrybark & swamp chestnut oaks are good candidates.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if almost any oak would survive in such conditions -- maybe slowed growth.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Q. nigra or Q. bicolor would be my choices.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input!

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    10 years ago

There's no way I'd ever intentionally plant Water oak. They make up about 90% of the oak stands around here and they're terribly weedy. They are also weak wooded by oak standards and fairly short lived. I have cut down or girdled most of mine and I'm replacing them with Swamp Chestnut and Cherrybark oaks.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

alabamatreehugger, I was rather shocked when I saw a huge oak (~3 ft dia) in the VA State Arb near Winchester. It was a water oak!

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I sowed a lot of interesting candidate hybrids, Brandon. A few here and there and 6 or 8 otherwise. If you are able to hold off until mid summer next year, I will send a seedling gratis. Email about that time to remind me. I also have bicolor sowed. All in Rootmakers,

Dax

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

ath,
    Knowhatyoumean - growing up in UCLA(upper corner of lower Alabama), water oak was everywhere, and not especially appealing to me in very many ways.
    But, I'd hazard a guess that Q.nigra would likely be pretty uncommon in brandon's locale, and thus *might* be an interesting addition. Or not.

I never see it here, though my understanding is that it is present in the area (I have a graft of the 'Firewater' coccineaXnigra, which was a chance seedling Guy S. grew from acorns collected from the KY champion Q.nigra, located less than an hour west from me).

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    10 years ago

Beng, I have a few back in the woods that are probably 4ft diameter, but they're rotten to the core.

Lucky, it would be interesting to see a scarlet/water oak hybrid, since water oak doesn't have any fall color and sheds its leaves nearly all winter.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Here 'tis.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Fire Water' Q.nigraXcoccinea

• drrich2
    10 years ago

Interesting. Swamp White Oak came to my mind and has been recommended; I was under the impression that Nutall Oak was a good choice that's tolerate of seasonal flooding, yet nobody mentioned it?

Red oak group, and from what I understand doesn't hang onto its leaves through winter unlike some others (such as Shumard, I believe).

Richard.

• drrich2
    10 years ago

Ah, sorry, I see the scientific name had already been mentioned & some are already there.

Richard.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I want to add support for the other trees mentioned already. My other plants, I must support, are supported by my FAVORITE PLANT LITERATURE palphlets. Let these pamphlets, give facts on Quercus Alba and Quercus Bicolor. Also Quercus Montana/ Prinus.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dax,

Wow, I really do appreciate your offer! I only have space for about two or three more oaks though, and I think I'm going to go with bicolor. I actually already have the bicolor acorns. I was kind of hoping there was something that I wasn't thinking of...something unusual, but I think bicolor will work well.

Poaky,

I read though your last post three times and still don't understand what you mean. Is it missing a link or something???

• gardener365
    10 years ago

You need one bicolor and two of my hybrids then!

Dax

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Dax,

If I can remember, I will write you sometime around mid summer and we'll work something out. I can find a good place for them, even if it's not in the exact area I am planning for now. I should have some new oak areas opening up if I can get out there and do some work.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Brandon, that was an assinine drunk post, sorry. But maybe Dax can continue this subject with Brandon.