Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Depth of perception- Does anyone know how tall this tree is?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

Can any tell from the picture how tall this tree is?

Comments (17)

• claynation_il
    9 years ago

16 ft, 2.37 inches.

What do I win?

• claynation_il
    9 years ago

Upon further consideration I am revising my guess.

Final Answer: 14 ft.

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

10.5 feet

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

10.5 feet

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Little to compare against, but..... 13 ft.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

4.5 feet, compared to the green grass at the base.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

take your shovel .. measure it ....most are 6 feet... lean it against the tree... retake the pic ...

then you will have a 6 foot scale.. upon which to compare ... and doing it on yoru computer screen makes it real easy ....

i am going to guess .... you have about 2 and one half shovels there.... which puts it darn close to clays first guess ...

anything you know the measure of.. can work as a scale ....

ken

ps: if you are really into math.. there are all kinds of Pythagorean formulas ... but pshaw on that ... it involves a sextant.. and some Vaseline ... and bacon ... lol ... and a short dance in the raw .... it isnt pretty ... lol .. happy new year ...

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

How to figure out:
    On a sunny day measure both your shadow and the tree's shadow.

Then set up a proportion your height/your shadow = tree's height/tree's shadow

Calculate (your height x tree's shadow)/your shadow = tree's height

In this type of equation, / is used as a division sign.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

That one looks easy to do yourself with a stake of known height, unless the pic is deceiving my eyeballs. I think if I ever want to measure height of a large tree, I'll get a Helium balloon and a long string on it, but that tree looks pretty small when you see the car in the background etc. Some peeps use a ruler and stand at a certain distance and all kinda crap, I cannot figure out how to do it, easy as it sounds to do, maybe someone can tell you and you'll get it. Poaky1

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Wait a minute......You already know the answer don't you? I took the question seriously.....

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No i dont know the answer.
    This is a picture of a dwarf callery pear.
    It is not actually near me.

They get up to 15ft and im trying to see if anyone can tell me how tall it is because i cant. lol

I will be getting 4 of these trees in march.

• claynation_il
    9 years ago

What if you did know the exact height of the tree in the picture.

Then what?

As you mentioned its a dwarf pear, if a Jack Pear they get around 15 ' tall.
    Mystery solved.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just because i have not seen what the full grown tree looks like and they are not available in my state. Even online i can find only 1 or 2 that are around 10 years old or so.

• Ryan Valizan
    3 years ago

the title was a better question than the OP.

How would one gauge the perception of what a 75ft fully grown tree in their yard would look like?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

ps: if you are really into math.. there are all kinds of Pythagorean formulas ... but pshaw on that ... it involves a sextant.. and some Vaseline ... and bacon ... lol ...

==>>> now im trying to remember all the bacon posts ... if i had an idea of the titles.. i might be able to find them ... lol

wonder what ever happened to The Bean .... just disappeared one winter ...

ken

• bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

wonder what ever happened to The Bean

He must've sprouted.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

No pear or any other tree variety is going to grow to a particular previously observed height and then freeze in place, as though it were a piece of furniture - only individual bamboo culms do that. Even the world's tallest coast redwoods make new top growth every year. With an effective leveling off of those manifesting in the very topmost shoots dying back during dry years, rather than the tree having stopped growing.