Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sapindus drummondii - Western Soapberry

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 23:03

Who has tried this tree in a humid-summer climate? I'd really like one of these. They should be zone-hardy here but I'm not sure about our more humid and wetter summers than its native range.

I assume Rule #1 would be good drainage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sapindus drummondii - Western Soapberry

I have three very small ones here in Knoxville. They seem to do very well so far, even after someone (not me!) ran over them with a BushHog.

o

That's good to hear. Your climate isn't all that different than mine. I probably have slightly hotter & more humid summers & somewhat more snow in winter, but similar temps.

o

I've had a small one for years that I got as a tube from ForrestFarm. It grows very slowly and suffers from spring freeze damage almost every year, but I am in a frost pocket. The first (and only) tree I've seen was at MOBOT, and it looked like a pecan from a distance, only more elegant. BTW, Brandon's climate is better than mine LOL.

o

Hair,
Probable not a big concern. There are two on the University of Arkansas campus that are 20-25' tall, with 6-8" caliper. They have been there for some time and have no issues. Another is at the local botanical garden. Probable 12' or so, and 3-4" caliper. Been there for 6-7 years, and no issues. Though rare, they are in fact native to my area, though I don't think I have seen them in the wild. But that would probable be due to the habitat being on top of dry bluffs where they are able to compete, and frankly places I'm not going to go very often.

So in short, they will most likely be fine for you as long as they have good drainage.

Arktrees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here