Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
critters eating acorns and buckeyes...that have already grown

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 23:23

I'm starting some buckeyes and oaks from seeds. Without going into a long story...will critters try to eat the seeds AFTER they've grown into a seedling? In other words should I cage the little trees until they've used up all of the nut and it has fallen off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: critters eating acorns and buckeyes...that have already grown

Something will be eating them until they are 10' high. If the squirrel, and other small animals don't get them the deer will.

We have our small trees in pots on our front porch, hopefully nothing will bother them.

o

they will dig them out.. just to piss you off.. regardless if they actually end up eating them .. lol ... they apparently want to know what is in the bottom of the pot ... and if nothing.. will feel free to put something in it ... lol ...

ken

o

So in other words, I should make a cage with a roof on it so squirrels can't climb over and get in?

o

I HAVE had the buggers go after sprouted seeds, but rabbits eating buds and voles stripping the trunk are far more common.
Depending on your bugger levels, I would cage the whole sprout with chicken wire until it is about 2', and then replace with tree trunk guards until the trunk is gnarly enough to not be vole bait. I think someone said 10' which seems about right.

o

I've had squirrels dig up second-year bur oak seedlings to get at the remains of the acorn. Friend who once worked in the Mo Dept of Conservation tree nursery said the deer would come in and decimate seedling beds to get at the remains of the acorn on 1-yr stock.

o

Wow. Determined little b@stards!

o

When I start buckeye or oak in the g'houses, the chipmunks do just as Lucky says, they will rip the nut off the plant to eat the remains and leave the roots and stem laying on the top of the pot, or scattered on the g'house benches. The nuts stay attached for quite awhile, and they slowly dessicate and shrivel, so it sort of depends on the maturity of the seedling, how much damage it does. Sometimes very little, often kills it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here