Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Pollinators

Posted by jmsamr none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 23:56

Does anybody know if Dwarf Siberian Pine and Dwarf Korean Pine will cross pollinate? I'm trying to squeeze as many trees into my small suburban backyard food system and am looking at Dwarf Siberian Pine and Dwarf Korean Pine due to smaller sizes.
Also does anybody know a quality nursery to buy trees that are a couple years old?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Pollinators

they are conifers...

there is a rather active conifer forum ...

wherein we have discussed favored vendors .. ad nauseum ...

i am not sure you can reliably get dwarf seedlings out of dwarf plants ... it would take 3 to 5 years to find out a seedlings annual growth rate ...

most... if not all dwarfs are grafted stock ...

google conifer kingdom.. among others

ken

ps: be sure to add your location ... and are you aware it can take a decade or so ... for a babe to cone ....

o

Is your goal in getting them to cross-pollinize, producing offspring somewhere in between the two (ie a dwarf baby conifer)? Or, are you just wanting to plant something that will produce viable seeds to play with?

Hopefully, someone will chime in with sources. My whole computer crashed recently, so I am somewhat data-less at the moment.

o

I am looking to grow seeds for consumption and possibly press some oil.

o

i doubt.. you will ever get enough trees.. to generate the seed base.. to press oil ...

P armandii has edible seed.. 10 years after planting it as a one gal.. one foot plant.. it is near 15 feet tall .. at least 8 wide .... and had its first 5 cones ...

the seed covering was so hard.. i couldnt figure out.. how to get the edible part out ....

eat yes .. oil.. i doubt in suburbia

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here