Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmullen_gw

Toro #570 sprinkler heads

dmullen
19 years ago

Does anyone know of a tool for lifting the risers on the Toro #570 sprinklers?

Rain Bird has one for their risers, but I cannot find one for Toro's.

The Toro factory says that one comes with the heads but all I got was the red plastic piece threaded into the riser and these are not useful once they are removed and the head is installed.

I am now having to make the final turns on some of my sprinklers by doing it while the sprinkler is running. This does not seem like a very well thought out design for a sprinkler.

The Rain Bird tool would work if it was smaller and it seems like Toro would have something similar. If I cannot find a factory or after market tool, I will try to figure out a way of hooking the head and pulling the riser up.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• mikie_gw
    19 years ago

You do know those things ratchet, click, click, click - you dont need to unscrew them nor re-adjust em once aimed.

• dmullen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The top of the head is flush with the top of the body so I cannot get my fingers on them to turn them slightly when they need a small adjustment.

With the Rain Birds, you can use the tool to pull up the head and turn it.

• mikie_gw
    19 years ago

I dunno, I've never had a problem lifting em,, maybe channel locks or my trust wiremold screwdriver, those are my two yard tool other than hunter wrenches - one of those two tools lifts it enough to hand grab and change a nozzle.
    Disassembled and cleaned all those toro nozzles once and afterwards they won't keep their settings worth a dang for a month or so. Figure I'll never touch those screws again unless I absolutely have too. PIA

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago

Wish I could draw a picture of the tool I use. It looks like a pair of needle-nose pliers, but has a little nub on the outiside of the very end of the nose, on both sides. In order to lift the head, you squeeze the handles together, and the nubs wedge in under the inside lip of the spray head. Toro, Rainbird, doesn't matter.

Then, once the head is lifted, you can use the same tool to clamp on the riser so that the head stays up for whatever you're doing, changing the head, adjusting, whatever...

I got mine at a garden supply store in Los Altos, CA

• dmullen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

GreenieBeanie

That tool sounds like the one by Rainbird.

I tried it in the store on the Toro's and it didn't seem to fit but I am going back now to see if it will work after all.

Thanks

• all_wet
    19 years ago

What's wrong with using the tools the good lord gave you...your index fingernails? I've never owned any tool to pull up the riser stem on a pop up spray head in almost 25 years in the industry.

All Wet
    Texas Licensed Irrigator #1897 since 1984

• Mizzou_KX
    19 years ago

Fingernails work good for me too. Or, you can adjust them while they're running. Then you'll be all wet too.

• Waterit
    19 years ago

I'm with All Wet and Mizzou - we use our fingernails to pull 'em up when that is necessary.
    It's easier to work on sprays while the system is running, that way EVERYTHING gets flushed, including the piping.
    We also adjust them with the system on, anything else is guesswork.
    Another thing you can do with the 570's is replace them with a GOOD head!

• more_to_grow
    19 years ago

I adjust them while their running as stated before "anything else is guessing". I've used 570's for years, never had any real problems, they pop and they spray. Hunter and Rainbird have some nice nozzle options; beyond that its simply a Ford or Chevy argument.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    17 years ago

I have had a terrible time with the wiper seals going bad (the rubber ring that sits right inside the cap). I just replaced about 10 recently - I get leaks between the cap and the body. You have to replace with a whole new body - can't buy just the wiper seal.

• sanzen36
    17 years ago

duuuuuuuh. keep the red cap on when you install them.........then pull it up............then unscrew..........then screw in proper nozzle. wow.