Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help setting up system...

Posted by rmonge00 Zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 10:38

Hello,

I want to run a water line from my house to my garden, where I want to install about 4-6 faucets to connect drip irrigation to. I would like to be able to use the first faucet in the line year-round because that one will service the greenhouse.

What kind of cold weather precautions do I need to take? (our frost line is 18 inches and we go in and and out of light frosts all winter).

Can I bury it all below frost line and set up a drain line for the first faucet (so it can drain water when not being used). And then blow out or drain the other faucets during the winter. Would burying below frost line help?

Do I need to insulate the pipe that is connecting to the house pipe above the frost line?

Is a drain line the best way to go for the faucet that I want to use year-round?

Should I put in a valve to blow out the other lines with a compressor or should I just install drain lines for them?

Do I need to set up a frost-free faucet on the one that I am using year-round? Sorry for all of the questions!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help setting up system...

rm,

I don't know how much you want to spend on this system. It will be hard to answer your questions with asking more questions to get a better picture of what you are doing and how much knowledge and experience you have. My $0.02 is to hire a local irrigation or landscape expert to come up with a design to meet your needs. Then you can decide to DIY or hire a contractor. Do not hire the same guy that does your design. Always get three quotes to obtain a reasonable price for your area. If you are operating a greenhouse it would be a good idea to go with the profession licensed route. You can always go back to them if something isn't right. Otherwise you are climbing the learning curve on your own nickel. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here