Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdmanoise

Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor

cdmanoise
9 years ago

I'm looking to connect a Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor to my Rain Bird ESP-LXME controller. The installation manual for the SMRT is useless, and the author should be fired. I want to control the entire system with the SMRT, not just one or two zones. The wiring diagram shows a BLUE and BROWN Override sensor wire (Optional) but they are connected to zone outputs which I don't get unless they are just for bypassing zones from the SMRT control. I would think these wires would be for a system override, but not connected in this manner - manual not very intuitive. There is also a note in the FAQ's stating "The SMRT-Y controller interface unit does not include a switched circuit suitable for a sensor port". Are my only options with this device to either connect all grounds through it or install a system master valve? I would hope not, or I would have to say this is one dumb design! I currently have a WR2 rain gauge which I must say is an overpriced waste of product - It works, but the discs dry out much faster than the actual soil moisture and we again are watering when the dirt is still wet.

Comments (5)

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

Are you asking which wires to use? Or are you asking where to connect the wires? And are you getting rid of the WR2 then?

• cdmanoise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was looking for a common sense way to connect the device to control the entire system in a manner similar to the WR2 which uses the sensor terminal for rain delay. Connecting all the grounds through this device seems to me an odd way to achieve this capability if that is even the way to do what I want. Yes I intend to get rid of the WR2 as I don't like it.

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

It makes absolutely no sense to me that the sensor terminals are not used, as the timer itself has a sensor setting for multiple types of sensors. I don't really understand the logic of design, but I would do as the wiring guide shows:
    1. Connect ORANGE to 24V
    2. Disconnect current common wire(s) from controller
    3. Connect these common wires to the WHITE wire from the sensor
    4. Connect the BLACK wire to the common terminal
    5. Remove one of the zone wires (getting the impression it should be a nearby zone to the timer) and attach it to the RED wire
    6. Attach the GREEN wire to that empty zone terminal
    7. Leave the BLUE and BROWN out and don't connect to anything

Let us know if that works! Otherwise we may have another suggestion.

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

It makes absolutely no sense to me that the sensor terminals are not used, as the timer itself has a sensor setting for multiple types of sensors. I don't really understand the logic of design, but I would do as the wiring guide shows:
    1. Connect ORANGE to 24V
    2. Disconnect current common wire(s) from controller
    3. Connect these common wires to the WHITE wire from the sensor
    4. Connect the BLACK wire to the common terminal
    5. Remove one of the zone wires (getting the impression it should be a nearby zone to the timer) and attach it to the RED wire
    6. Attach the GREEN wire to that empty zone terminal
    7. Leave the BLUE and BROWN out and don't connect to anything

Let us know if that works! Otherwise we may have another suggestion.

• waterslaver
    9 years ago

The sensor is very easy to connect. Follow the color coded wires at the controller. If there are one or two zones that you do not to be a part of the sensor, then attach a blue or brown wire on top of the existing wire. For the zones that you have taken off of the sensor simply put them on their own program B or C. They will operate independently. It is important to connect the red wire from the sensor to the wire that you place the green wire on the terminal. All connections must be tight. Place the sensor in the centrer of the root zone and pack it in well...no air pockets..

This post was edited by waterslaver on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 3:46

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus