Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladykitsu

Help! - Drip irrigation on an incline?

ladykitsu
16 years ago

I was looking at putting a DIY drip system in the veggie garden this year. Was going to pick up a kit to make it as painless as possible :)

The problem is that part of the garden is on a slight hill. I read that drip dosn't do well on hills, but it would be "OK" if you are not trying to go up & down the incline. I guess implying that it would work going across the incline, just not as well?

Would a soaker setup be any better? I was originally going to go with a nice soaker system like some of the ones I've seen posted on here, but my hoses don't seem to last longer than 2 years.

Anyway, so what would the best way to install in a veggie garden when only part of it is on an incline? I should add, if it makes a difference, the part on an incline is close to a different hose outlet, so if for some reason I needed a different set up (pressure, etc) that would't be a problem.

I think thats it...Thanks for the help.

Laura

Comments (3)

• Beeone
    16 years ago

Generally, if you are working with a drip line on an incline, you want to go across the incline so the drip line remains fairly level. Running the line up and down the hill results in pressure changes from top to bottom with the result that the bottom gets more water than the top. If you go across the slope, the pressure remains constant similar to flat ground.

If your slope has a height change of 4 or 5 feet or less and is a gentle slope, I don't think you would have much problem. With a greater change in elevation, then you might see some effects. I'm not a water expert and can't give you exact heights that would be acceptable or not, but if you go crosswise, this won't be a problem. Your main feeder line can go with the slope, and at worst you may need to either add a pressure regulator on the lower laterals or some valves to restrict the flow somewhat and get more pressure at the top. That is easy to do and you can start without, then add valves/regulators after you try it if the results aren't satisfactory.

The other thing to watch on a slope is the rate you apply water. If it is faster than it can soak in, it will start running downhill over the surface instead of soaking in, you'll get erosion and the top won't get enough water and the bottom too much.

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    16 years ago

Most dripers are designed to run between 20 and 40 psi. The pressure compensated ones will only vary about 20% in the range, the non PC ones, will vary about 50%

A 10 foot elevation change is about 4 psi.

So if you run your system at 40 psi, then 4psi is 10% which will hardly be noticed by a PC dripper, and be only about a 10% difference with a non PC dripper.

Remmeber that pressure also drops as you pull more water out of the line. The end drippers work with less pressure than the ones closest to the source.

Put this together. Run you main line across the top of the garden. Run your drip lines downhill. The drop in prssure from the drips will compensate the increase in pressure from running down hill, more or less.

• ladykitsu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Perfect! That's what I needed to know!

I'm actually considering leveling off that part of the veggie bed this year. It's a big project, but I like to have a big project each year... and if that's at least a *little* more level it will help with the irrigation too.

But for now, you guys have given me the last little bit of info I needed. Much appreciated :)

Thanks ya'll
    Laura