Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Above Ground Lawn Watering System

graywings123
16 years ago

I've been cruising this forum gathering information on the best way to put together a non-permanent, above-ground lawn sprinkling system.

The long thread titled "Sprinkler?" that dates back to 2005 was a great help. The point was made in that thread that most people have not had much luck daisy-chaining standard sprinklers together with garden hoses due to lack of water pressure past the first sprinkler.

At Home Depot today, I saw for the first time the Orbit H2O-Six Gear Drive sprinker. Does anyone have any experience with this sprinkler? It seems to have so many options for throwing water; I'm wondering whether this would work any better as an in-line system, given that you could reduce the amount of water coming out of the first sprinkler.

Second question: has anyone switched to a 3/4 inch hose and found an improvement in use of multiple in-line sprinklers?

Here is a link that might be useful: Orbit H2O-Six Gear Drive sprinker

Comments (5)

• constancegaw
    16 years ago

Switching to smaller hoses could indeed increase pressure, but at the same time hoses too small could also reduce flow, lowering the sprinkling radius of all the sprinklers overall. In the end you'll have to tradeoff between having more "weaker" sprinklers and the standard.

• graywings123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought the standard hose was 5/8 inch diameter, and I'm looking at going to 3/4 inch hose to increase the flow rate.

• evie4
    15 years ago

I posted a similar message. I bought the Orbit sprinklers you mentioned. I'm going to run them in parallel, one hose from the timer valve to a "Y" splitter-- two on each line on 5/8" hose.

Right now my water pressure in my home is way too high. Our local utility says 80 max and ours is over 100. So I'll get better results now then once the plumber puts the regulator on--we have to do this, it has blown two of our Grohe hoses on our kitchen sink.

I'm going to get an RV pressure regulator in the interim, that will be lower than the future pressure, it should be an interesting experiment!

I'm hoping to set this up over labor day weekend and see how it works out. I'm trying to water at 30' diameter lawn.

• ted123
    15 years ago

what if you use the tee method for the sprinkler this will distribute the pressure more even. run a line down the middle and tee off to get to the sprinklers. You want to check the flow rate at the point of connection this will give you the amount of gpms and will determine how many sprinklers you can run per line. also if possible check the pressure at the end of each line.

Here is a link that might be useful: help_site

• evie4
    15 years ago

Sorry if I sound a little dense, I'm not familiar with these things. Do you mean connect the hose pieces to the ends of the T and the sprinkler on the third opening?

I thought I would, for starters, connect the pressure regulator and hook up two sprinklers inline since I have a shorter hose already and just see what I get out of that connection. I wish I had the regulator on the house addressed already. The regulator I bought said it's pre-set to 40-50...which sounds pretty low to me(?)