Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmikec

Anti-Siphon Backflow Valve Question

AZMikeC
10 years ago

Hi All:

I'm new here and looking for some help.

I purchased a new home 1.5 years ago, and it came with a drip system (1 year warranty).

I recently began having problems with is. My anti-siphon valve (atmospheric vacuum breaker) is leaking and my main irrigation valve is not closing when the system shuts off. I had repair people out to my house to look at it and give me an estimate. They indicated that I need a new anti-siphon valve and my main valve needs servicing. Fine.

They also said that my system was installed backward with the anti-siphon backflow valve downstream from the main irrigation valve, rather than upstream, where it should be. I then contacted my builder, who contacted the landscaper who installed the system, and they indicated that anti-siphon valves need to be installed this way, since they can't be under constant pressure. I have found other sources on the internet which indicate that, indeed, anti-siphon valves should not be under pressure for more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period.

I then went back to the landscaping company who is doing the repairs, and spoke to the owner of the company. He indicated that all backflow devices should be upstream from the main irrigation valve(s), and is recommending that I reconfigure my system with the backflow system upstream from there, and install a Champion anti-siphon valve (AVB) there. And that the constant pressure at that location is not a problem.

So..........Help! Who is right? What is best? Or am I missing something and confused?

Thanks!

Comment (1)