Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
who2ted

Drip Plan Help

who2ted
12 years ago

I need help in what would be best for a watering system for my cinder block garden. I would like to install something that does not need to be redone each year but still be able to change crop locations from year to year.

My head kind of clutters up when I look at all the various ways to go. Attached is a grid of the area.

{{gwi:324648}}

Comments (7)

• lehua49
    12 years ago

Who,

Locate your source of water with distance on the drawing along with a description of the source type, flow rate and pressure. Thanks for the drawing, it helps. Aloha

• who2ted
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My flow rate is about 9GPM, I have no pressure reading but it would be average or above, we have a small community water system. Supply is from faucet about 10' from garden and would be located in the lower right of the drawing.

• lehua49
    12 years ago

Who,

Is this a shared source? Do have your own separate faucet?
    How high is the cinder block walls and could you dig a pvc pipe under the wall? What is your plant spacing and type of plant? Almost there, details to follow. Aloha

• who2ted
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is not a shared source, faucet was installed just for garden, cinder block is 1 block high. Plant spacing is what confounds me, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, onions, green onions, cucs, corn, cabbage, my spacing from year to year will be different depending on the crop rotation.
    Super thanks for any suggestions. I can go under blocks with water supply.

• lehua49
    12 years ago

Who,

Here is my $0.02, Pipe 3/4" sch40 pvc pipe underground from source along the front of the three planter areas. Tee of with 3/4" pvc underground under wall footing into planter areas and come above ground with the three 3/4" pvc riser. 90 degree off each riser with a 3/4" pvc elbow, reduce to 1/2" with a male pipe thread end. From there install your temporary drip adapter fittings and drip tape that can be rolled back each year or easily(cheaply) replaced if clogged. It is actually is better to have your garden slope away from your water source so the pressure loss from the tape outlets is compensated by the drop in elevation which increases pressure. Make sure your soil is not too sandy so that water travels outward from the drip tape and not straight down. Place tape on either side of your plants with probably 6" to 8" orifice spacing. If you need more detail just let us know. GL aloha

• who2ted
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GL, your instructions are very clear and that solves my problem of wanting a system that can be easily redone each year. Will I set this up as 3 zones or just one water connection (valve) for the whole garden? Do I run a couple of tapes up each bed?

• lehua49
    12 years ago

Who,

If you have average pressure (50 psi), one zone is fine. Place an in-line pressure reducer of 25 psi on the pvc pipe. This will keep the tape from splitting. Two tape lines per bed should do it. The most important is the soil quality, drainage and aeration to make the water spread and roots grow deep and wide. Good Luck (GL) aloha