Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All new irrigation - which valves?

Posted by RoxySD none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 0:28

We have completely demo'd our front and backyard and are planning all new concrete, pavers, grass, and new [future] plantings. The entire area surrounding the house needs all new drainage and irrigation.

What products should I be asking my contractor to use for this work? I have heard that Irritrol are very good. I have read on here that Orbit are not good...

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All new irrigation - which valves?

RSD,

I would ask the contractor to give you quotes that reflect several of the best brands and compare the bottom line. Ask him to explain the differences in the brands. Then report the gist of the discussion here and we can throw in our $0.02 to help with the decision. What's TIA!? JMHO Aloha

o

Hi lehua13, I understand that he uses Rainbird. I have heard from others that they are not good. I have heard that Irratrol are the best. Should I splurge on those?

o

in twenty-five years my experience is that irritrol is probably number three in overall quality. my personal preference is for rain bird or hunter for reliability and easy to understand, versatile controllers.

o

Roxy,

I agree with Mike. Hunter has always been the top for me and Rainbird is close second and most other well known brands are fine for residential systems and lower residential system operating pressures. Nelson used to be up there but not sure if it still has the old-time quality. It is all in the budget you can afford. My $0.02 is that correct and quality installation is what is important as long as you go with the more well known brands. Get references from your contractor and make calls and check the BBB. Also check the warranties. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here