Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mailman22_gw

2' Well pipe irrigation

mailman22
15 years ago

Has anyone successfully used well pipe for their garden irrigation? I have 100's of feet of this stuff and thought maybe I could water my vegetable garden with it. Any links to it's use or any ideas here?

Comments (4)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi mailman22,

Anything that won't cost you money and can distribute water without leaking is a good thing. What material is the pipe made of? I assume ungalvanized steel is the material. It may need a protective coating to last longer. Size shouldn't be an issue so your good to go there. Your soil may be a type that corrodes steel pipe fast, that is where the coating, either painted or vinyl wrapped, is needed. GL and Aloha

• mailman22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope. Not steel. All plastic. I was just concerned about the 2" thickness and whether I'd get enough water to reach down an 80 foot run of maybe 6"-12" spacing. Also, what size holes to drill?

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Howzit Mailman,

I am curious, is it HDPE (Black plastic)? This is getting more interesting but a few facts are needed now. How much flow can you send down the pipe. In essence this is a ditch or flume made of plastic. How much work do you want to do to make this flume system more flexible. Would you be willing to cut the pipe in half or quarters and be willing to cut a portion of the wall out at each outlet hole? If it were me, I'd sell it in local area craigslist or classifieds. A contractor could use it for temporary water or as a dewatering culvert system. With money buy a manageable irrigation system for your garden. But if you are determined well then, lets get at it. Aloha

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Hi mailman,
    ? You are asking about 2 inch diameter pipe, correct ?
    2 inch pipe will give you nice low friction over 80 feet of run.
    The drilled holes' spacing should be determined by centering what you plan to grow. The diameter of holes should match your growing strategy, whether a quick periodic flooding or aiming for prolonged drips.
    The irrigation delivery method, gravity or pump pressure, make each outlet site put out somewhat different amounts of water.
    A series of open holes has no equalized resistance - but for 80 feet of run & no special soil limitations this should not deter you from going ahead.
    Slope of the garden is going to be a factor in what gets more residual water once shut off supply source.