Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iforgotitsonevermind

Can I connect a hose to a sprinkler head?

Is there a connector or something that will let me temporarily remove a sprinkler head in an in-ground system and attach a garden hose?

Comments (5)

• Michael
    15 years ago

Are you attempting to attach the garden hose to the disconnected sprinkler head or to the sprinkler system where the head was removed? It is highly likely the answer to both is yes as the sprinkler systems use standard fittings. Sorry but I can't tell you what size the fittings are or how yours were plumbed.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi ifisnm,

One questions and one suggestion. yes it is possible, but why would you want to use a garden hose with all the other sprinklers heads are watering? The garden hose will have low pressure while the other heads are working and you will lower the pressure for all the other sprinklers and reduce their coverage as well as only being able to water when the other heads are on. The more common approach is to place a tee with a quick coupling for the hose in the mainline(extend the main if necessary) which is isolated from the other heads when their not on. GL Aloha.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a good idea.
    The reason I ask is because some new landscaping is going in near a sprinklerhead and we will need to water it by hose/ by hand until established. Don't need it to be covered by sprinklers after that.

It is near the main and control box. Does that make things simpler and is it a DIY for

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi ifisnm,

Gosh, Now my curiosity is really going.

Is the budget most important?
    Is this new area grass or flowers?
    How Big is the new area?
    Would you like a permanent hose connection available?
    Do you have a hose connection fairly close by?

Cheapest option: Dig out sprinkler head, remove sprinkler head attach a 1/2" coupling female/female thread/thread to end of threaded 1/2" pvc pipe screw in a 12" or 18" pvc threaded nipple screw on a brass female/male thread/thread NPThread/garden hose connection. The attach the hose. Cost around 10$.

Easiest option: Buy extra hoses.

Most expensive and time consuming but permanent option: Dig up main, cut main, place tee slip/slip/3/4" thread (don't know size of main), F/F/F, place one compression repair fitting, screw in nipple to height desire for hose connection, screw on hose bib connection. Pour a little concrete at the low bend for stability long term.

Note: all threaded joints use teflon tape.

GL Aloha

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lehua,

No we just need water for the establishment period and summer which can be droughty here. They are shrubs and trees that wont need supplemental irrigation like flowers and grass.

I will try your technique though for the cheapest option. That sounds like the best plan. Thanks!