Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DC water pump/containment system question

Posted by dgr611 none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 22:11

Help needed with a garden water source question.

I have a small water hole that I want to use for irrigation purposes. It is about 4-6 ft deep or so and a few feet in diameter. I can pull a few buckets of water out which will lower the water level but it will return to its top level over the next several hours. So it has limited high-volume capacity but it is a replenishing source. So what I am thinking of is a system that will pull water out and store it in a container about 15 ft in the air. Then as I need it I will draw from the container. That elevation will provide me with a gravity feed to anywhere I need it. (I'm not set on an elevated tank - just my first thought at a solution)

I have a structure nearby (within 10 feet) where I can put this container. The water will be used in a garden nearby and on some fruit trees about 300 ft away.

There is no access to utility power nearby. The power will have to be self-contained.

I was thinking about a 12 VDC Battery/Solar system running a pump to fill the container. It would run as needed until the water level drops to a certain level and then lets the water hole refill and then run again after it gets to a certain point, and so on. I could then pull water from the container as needed.

I've looked at bilge pumps (centrifugal and diaphragm) but not sure if that elevation is too much. The pump curves that I've seen usually don't go to that amount. It doesn't need a high GPH, it just needs the head height not sure if I can get one without the other. Anyone have any ideas on a pump or plumbing scheme for this application?

What kind of power source would I need? Can solar handle it alone (~30 deg lat, ~5 hrs of unshaded sun/day) or would it be better to use a battery with a solar charger. Does the battery need to be marine deep-cycle or will a car battery suffice? How big a solar panel is needed? Any recommendations? Which costs more, a high powered solar panel or a marine battery w/solar charger?

Also, what kind of circuitry/switching/floats should I consider?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DC water pump/containment system question

dgr,

Don't know the level of your pocket book. But a centrifugal pump is somewhat expensive to purchase and run for such short bursts of time. These pumps are good at lifting but run a higher volume. So you would be starting and stopping the pump. You might look at filling a pressurized tank which would do better at feeding trees 300 feet away. A tank 15 ft in the air only gives you about 7 psi which is not strong enough for long lines or frequent drip interval. I would talk to a local irrigation or pumping person to map out what you want. Go to more than one person to get a good feel of the local costs and configurations. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here