Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brankulo

trenches depth

brankulo
14 years ago

hi, i am palning to do sprinkler system for my lawn. i am in denver colorado. i have two different suggestions from people as how deep should trenches need to be, so i wander what you guys think. also suggestions for tubing differ. one friend suggests pvc, other one black flexible tubes. any advices appreciated

Comments (5)

• steve_l
    14 years ago

Usually the black PVC tubing is used in freezing areas, and you go down maybe 8 or so inches.

• brankulo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that is even less what i was told. i was told 12 and 16". not sure now.

• vgnurseryco
    14 years ago

Hey Bran,

My brother is a sprinkler contractor in Denver. He ALWAYS goes with poly (the black stuff). Number one, its cheaper.
    Also, its better for the cold. Also, its easier to work with, and you don't need to use all the nasty cement and stuff.

Since it sounds like you are a 'DIY' kindof person, let me please give you some solid advice:

1. Denver Brass and Copper. They are south on santa fe near waste management. Excellent prices as well as informational resource.

2. CRIMP CLAMPS> DO NOT USE 'RING CLAMS' (the ones with the flat-head screw to tighten them) They will rust under ground. You will need the appropriate size of clamp for your pipe, as well as a pair of crimpers. They sell 'Knipex' crimpers at DBC. They are a bit pricey, but just trust me on this one, NOTHING ELSE WILL DO.

3. Make sure you know your pressure/GPM before you plan your system. Then, build the system from there. DO NOT use different sizes of heads on each zone. This is a fairly specific thing, and they have charts and things that can help you at DBC.

4. My brother's trenches for 'main lines' are often 14-16" deep. Other lines, around 12-14 at least. Frankly, the cheaper, the better.

5. (PRO-TIP) put two clamps on each time you connect. The clamps are cheap, and frankly, its a cheap insurance policy in case you break or damage the first clamp. It is REALLY hard to get those joints apart once you've got them together to get another clamp on. If the first clamp works, great, just leave that other one loose in case you ever need it.

Keep posting, I enjoy reading and offering advice. Good luck, and if you feel like you are getting over your head, let me know, my brothers a real nice guy, and his consultations are cheap.

The main thing I always tell people DIY'ing their system is this:

Pay attention to elevation/drainage. Be thinking 'If this broke, would it flood my basement?, or worse, my neighbor's basement?'

• vgnurseryco
    14 years ago

Sorry, I just realized I mispelled 'Ring Clamps' Not 'ring clams' but 'ring clamps'

These are a tell-tale sign of a DIY system, and often the cause of system failure. They are NOT intended for under-ground use, and WILL fail when used so. They are mainly used for automotive. Plus, crimp clamps are much quicker and easier and will save your arm from turning hundreds of screws. (trust me, you'll thank me later for this)

• brankulo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

vg, i really appreciate your input. i will definatelly go and check DBC. you are right i am planing to DIY. my first take was requesting free design from rain bird. will see what they send back. in mean time i am designing my own system ant will compare.still too cold and snowy here to start, but i am getting excited. and yes i will avoid ring clamps as you suggest.