Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watering seeds/seedlings from below?

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 23:41

Hey all,

Can anyone help me out with watering from below. I know it's a good idea for seeds and seedlings but I have such a hard time with it. Either I put a small container in a tray with water and it seems to never suck up water to the top, or I put too much water in the tray and it sucks so much up before there are puddles on the top of the pot. Is there a rule of how many inches of water in a tray compared what size pot you use?
I don't need to use bottom watering for everything but for seeds that are so tiny that I don't want to get them washed away, I would prefer that method. Also for seedlings with leaves close to the soil, the bottom-watering method should work better.
Thanks!

Z

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watering seeds/seedlings from below?

z,

I don't believe there is any general rule for this sort of thing. You may ask this question in various forums where these types of concerns are common like the Container, Vegetable, Flower and anything grown from seed forums. The only thing I know about this sort of thing is one) the water behaves different in different types of soil Clayey versus Sandy) and 2)that watering from the bottom may dislodge the seed and may damage very tender roots from seedlings. I do use wicking from the bottom into containers via roping in tomatoe container gardening. GL Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here