Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Drip Irrigation 001 Questions

luis_pr
15 years ago

My house has drip irrigation installed by a private company. It is currently set to water about 1 gallon of water per hour when the station goes off. It uses some brown plastic tubes.

I have started growing some plants in pots and would like to keep some camellias/azaleas outdoors full time since my winters are mild. These require the soil to be moist as much as possible. Well, that has been a problem as I water the few potted plants by hand. Since I am tired of doing this, I am looking for solutions.

It appears as if there are smaller similar-looking brown drip tubes that, it looks to me- as if they could somehow be attached to the main tubes that I already have to deliver the water to the potted plants. One end would connect to the bigger drip tubes and the other end would water the pot. Can this be done?

I would like to see if I can attach the small tubes to the smaller ones without causing another mortgage crisis or a nuclear winter. This way, the potted plants would be watered when all the outdoor plants are watered in that station.

I am klutz but would like to learn if I can do that. Going to Lowes and HD was useless. In one place I found no one who could help but in the other store, it was explained in too technical terms even after I asked for simplification.

I recently found a nursery where it appears as if they were using these smaller tubes off the bigger ones but I could not see for sure. The person that was there did not know anything about irrigation sooooo.... help anyone?

Can someone explain this way of connecting the two types of tubes in r e a l l y simple terms or point me to an article I could read about this? Or should I call a private company to do that?

I assume that the two tubes can connect but cutting a hole in the big tube and making the hole of the size of the smaller one seemed difficult to get just right. Then of course, I could see the two disconnecting without use of glue somewhere, etc etc etc. This is not rocket science but just how other people do that?

TIA,

Luis

Comment (1)