Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsig

Rainbird Sprinkler System hit by Lightning

mrsig
16 years ago

We had a bad thunderstorm here in Cola, SC earlier in the week and lightning hit a tree on my property. It apparently travelled along the ground too because the next day I saw where the plastic cover to my Sprinkler System Head Unit in the garage was completely blown off. It tripped the breaker too, but even after flipping that back on, I can't get power to the Head Unit. I guess it's fried?

Also, one of the solenoid "mini-manhole" covers in the yard about 10 yards away from the lightning strike was blown off as well. I guess that's where it entered my sprinkler system.

I haven't had the chance to really look into fixing it yet (it's not a huge hurry because I'm at least a month away from having to use my sprinkler system again), but are lightning strikes fairly common for these devices? Am I probably looking at replacement of the head-unit, and should I expect any damage to the solenoid(s).

I'm probably using the wrong terminology for these things, so please let me know if I can clarify. Appreciate any thoughts and/or advice.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH