Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
irrigation valve not moving to next zone

Posted by Geelie FL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 9:10

Our residence has a Hydrotek 6000 zone indexing valve that has worked great for 20 years, but now is reluctant to change zones. I took off the top of the valve, cleaned it all out, cleaned out the vacuum valve; I didn't see any broken parts or obvious problems, but this did not fix the problem. It still won't move to the next zone. What should I check or do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: irrigation valve not moving to next zone

Gee,

Q: What do I do if my valve doesn't change or cycle to the next zone or outlet?

A: This happens when the stem and disk assembly is not rotating when the water flow is turned OFF and then back ON.

Suggested solutions:

1.) Make sure there is no debris inside the cam. Clean and carefully reinstall the cam.

2.) If fewer than the maximum number of outlets are being used, check the installation of the cam. Ensure that the stem and disk assembly is not being held down by an improperly installed cam.

3.) Remove the valve top and check for proper movement of the stem and disk assembly. Check for and remove any debris or foreign objects that may jam or retard the movement of the disk.

4.) Check for freedom of movement of stem and disk assembly up and down over the center pin in bottom of valve. Scale deposits may build up on the pin and hold stem and disk assembly down. Clean pin and again check for freedom of movement.

5.) Be sure that all operating outlets are not capped and that the flow to operating zones is not restricted in any manner.
This would cause pressure to build up in the valve and lock the stem and disk assembly in the down position.

6.) The backflow of water from uphill lines may be preventing the valve from cycling properly. This can happen when the valve is placed too far below an elevated irrigation line. If the valve cannot be placed close to the high point of the system, a check valve should be installed near the valve in the outlet line that runs uphill from the valve.
# 4 seems the most likely problem after 20 years. If it can't be fixed. Probably time to replace it with a new one. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here