Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use buried soaker hose for lawn irrigation

Posted by jvallee VA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 9:26

I have a 2000 sq ft sloping lawn with a large water sucking tree.

I would like to bury soaker hoses in rows across the lawn to try to keep it watered so grass will finally grow.

I can add pressure regulators/timers/valves as needed.

When I used sprinkers, I would get runoff of water (and topsoil).

Will this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use buried soaker hose for lawn irrigation

Alee,

Do you use temporary sprinklers or are they in the ground and permanent? Are they run by an automatic controller? Soaker hoses on a lawn are cumbersome and unsightly. Soaker hoses need to be pressure regulated same as drip lines. Is this your backyard (100 ft x 20 ft)? What type of grass are you growing? The grass dying back around the tree make not be just a watering problem but a shade problem or a lack of nutrient problem. Aloha

o
RE: Use buried soaker hose for lawn irrigation

Soakerhose is not really meant for lawns. If it clogs, then you have to dig up your grass to take it out. Netifim has a hose for lawns, and can be buried.
What about just setting up some micro sprayers? Of course you would have to move them when it came time to mow! They don't put out as much water as a sprinkler, so you shouldn't have run off issues with them.

Just my 2 cents worth....good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here