Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does a 50' soaker hose output twice as much water as a 25'?

Posted by Juttah Tucson AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 9:37

Assuming everything else is the same (PSI, flow, irrigation time, etc.) I would say "no" because the 50-footer would simply distribute the same amount of incoming water over a longer distance. However, the article I linked to below states:

"Fruit trees with roughly 5- to 10-foot canopies probably could be served with a 25-foot-long soaker. A larger specimen... may need 75 to 100 feet or more."

This implies that the longer the soaker hose, the greater the water output. Is this correct? (Any hydrologists out there?) Also, this author wrote:

"... remove the plastic plate with the pin-hole-sized opening at the bib end. Leaving it will prevent the hose from filling and the connection to the hose may explode from the pressure."

Everything I've read says to keep the plastic plate in, to prevent the SOAKER hose from exploding.

Confused...

Here is a link that might be useful: Soaker hoses, the poor man's drip system

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does a 50' soaker hose output twice as much water as a 25'?

I have never seen any spec's as to flow rate for a soaker hose. It is just a pourous rubber hose that just sweats the water out. It is by no means precise. A drip tube has spaced emitters that drip a specified amount of water in GPH at a specific pressure. That being said, suppose a 25' hose with 100 holes in it at a given pressure and compare it with a 50' hose with 200 holes in it at the same pressure. Would'nt you expect it to emit more water? It may not be exactly double, but it will be more.

o
RE: Does a 50' soaker hose output twice as much water as a 25'?

The output per foot of hose is the same.

Use the longer hose for a larger tree because you can then irrigate more square feet of surface area during a given period of time -- that is a larger root zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here