Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on irrigation planning/installation

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 11:10

My biggest goal this year is to get an irrigation system installed to water my small home orchard, vineyard, berry patch, large veggy garden, and various flower gardens. I would like a system with zones to water the different areas so that they all have enough water without using more than necessary, any advice on how best to achieve this?

Do you think it would be possible for me to make one myself with the help of my (very handy) boyfriend? Or should I bite the bullet and hire a professional? There is a local landscape architect whose website says that they specialize in zoned irrigation systems to deliver water in the most efficient way possible, which sounds great to me. The third option is my neighbor, he is a handyman who does all sorts of odd jobs and who happens to have a great veggy garden and home orchard all irrigated by a system he installed himself.

I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I am more interested in getting a good system that will work well for many years than saving money in the short term. So, what should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on irrigation planning/installation

peach,

If this is a money making operation and is large enough, go the professional route. If there installation or product problems, they will fix them. I recommend a licensed contractor and get at least three bids. If you hire a landscape designer that will provide you a plan to go out to bid with, see if he can oversee the work quality for you. Make sure he is independent from any of the bidders. Otherwise we can help you get there but there is no guarantee when things don't turn out as expected. In any case, find out your water source pressure and flow rate. That info will be needed in any case. JMHO & GL. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here