Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadygarden_co

changing sprinkler system

shadygarden_CO
11 years ago

I have an underground sprinkler system which prohibits me from easily planting herbs or flowers where I want them. Is there a way to convert to an above-ground system?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marlene

Comments (5)

• lehua49
    11 years ago

Shady,

Create an additional zone that just deals with the beds. It can be below or above ground. Do not mix lawn watering with flower watering. Durations are vastly different. You will harm one or the other. More info about your layout please. Aloha

• shadygarden_CO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried to post a picture, but my backyard has a large raised section with a stone wall around it, a rather small grassy area down below, a stone block patio below the raised area and a sidewalk on one side of the grassy area.

I would like to plant something like a Ballerina or Morden's Blush in the raised area. There are various bushes and 3 Knockout roses in that area now. Then I would like to plant some creeping lemon thyme and some parsley on the other side of the walk.

• lehua49
    11 years ago

Shady,

Is your underground system for your grass area only at present? Do you have irrigation lines in your raised bed and on the other side of your walk? Is it run by a controller? How many zones? Is this a newly constructed house and yard? Aloha

• shadygarden_CO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The underground system is in all areas, the grass, the raised bed, and on the other side of the walk. There are irrigation lines in the raised bed and on the other side of the walk. I think it is run by a controller -- it's in my garage and this is a newly constructed house and yard. There are five zones.

Marlene

• lehua49
    11 years ago

sg,

If you do anything to the irrigation system will you nullify the warranty from your homebuilder? Is your controller 6 zone model? Two options: 1) use the zone for the raised bed for all your flower beds. I would do everything underground using pvc pipe until you need to attach an adapter/Drip for the plantings. Dig down the raised bed wall and under the wall footing with pvc pipe across the lawn and under the sidewalk ( place a sleeve under the sidewalk and then slip the irrigation pipe through. 2) dedicate a separate zone from a new auto-valve to the controller for the 6th zone and pipe it from the valve(put it wherever you want it) connect to the mainline with a tee and pipe to where you need it. Aloha