Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question(s) on converting sprinklers to drip

Posted by BobRoss OR (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 15:41

I'm looking into converting my old sprinkler system to a drip system, however, what I've read from other sites imply that you have to be completely all of one or none. I would like to try to replace the system piecemeal based on my lack of free time.

Is it advisable to replace existing sprinkler heads one by one until I get the entire system finished? Is it okay to have one sprinkler zone be part old sprinklers, part drip system?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question(s) on converting sprinklers to drip

BR,

I am going to agree with those other sites. What about those comments from the other sites did you not believe?
Here is why:
The flow rates will be different for drip(0.5 GPH) and sprinklers (5 GPH). This equates to over or under watering one of the areas on the same zone because the time to irrigate would be equal. You would have to create separate zones for each type of distributing water. For example if you irrigated all but one sprinkler for the lawn for 4 minutes which is what the lawn needs. You will be under watering the drip area because it has not gotten enough time time to irrigate. Theoretically you can make the flow rates match for the drip (it wouldn't be drip any longer) but it would be very complex and a lot of trial and error.
I don't Know how you would do this piecemeal. Maybe other on this forum would know and we can all learn something. JMHO Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here