Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Broken Backflow Valve/Change Brands?

monicakm_gw
13 years ago

(sigh) Got up late yesterday morning and buzzed DH who was out in the shop. He asked "did you over water last night?. I didn't. "The south side of the yard is standing in water" :o So I go out there to investigate and sink up past my ankles :o Had DH done this 4 hours earlier, it wouldn't have been near as bad :( We tracked it down to the backflow valve WHICH IS UNDERGROUND! The system was installed 2 years ago this week. I found out 2 WEEKS ago that the backflow valve should have been installed at least 12" ABOVE ground. When our plumber arrived we had the system turned off. After scooping out all the water and mud, he found the problem. There's a ground box that is sitting right on top of the valve as it goes into another plumbing ground box??? Plumber says the weight box, people opening and shutting it (stomping on it) and tractor lawnmowers running over it caused it to finally crack under the pressure.

The brand of the backflow valve is FEBCO Model number is 850 and we have a 1" line. I found the valve on line for $150. Waiting to see what the plumber can get it for.

Is this a good brand (when installed properly)? If it's not is it even possible to change i? Will it match up to the existing equipment? I didn't even have to ask plumber to install it above ground. He said he was going to before I even asked.

Thanks,

Monica

Comments (4)