Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with rain sensor controlling a pump

Posted by duritz Czech Republic (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 05 at 19:22

Hello. I was wondering what I need to connect a rain sensor to, to activate a sump pump? I'll be irrigating from a tank, and I'd like to connect an ac timer to a rain sensor, so that the sump pump turns on for a timed period; only if it hasn't rained in a while. The garden is 30 mins away by metro and another 30 walk! It's crazy. Sorry I dont have much experience with these things.

Thanks!
Christian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with rain sensor controlling a pump

I'm not exactly sure how a rain sensor (at least the types of which I am familiar could do this, as they "break" one leg of the circuit when wetted sufficiently) however a soil moisture probe which detects drying (or lack of moisture) of the soil, connected to a simple relay switch, I believe, could function in this way.

More specifically a rain sensor gets wetted by rain which is absorbed by absorbent rings, these rings swell, once they swell to a set distance a switch is thrown and breaks the circuit, the timer still runs the system but nothing happens. These rings will dry out rather rapidly, dependent on humidity, sunlight, etc... this is a fairly rapid process on the order of hours or perhaps a day or two. If you are trying to water to makeup for lack of rain a more meaningful measure would be soil moisture

o
RE: Help with rain sensor controlling a pump

• Posted by duritz Czech Republic (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 10, 05 at 19:46

Thanks for the reply:) Yep, I think that the soil sensor is the way to go. I'm going to go to the Hornbach, which is like a Euro version of Home Depot, to try and find one. I'll update this thread with my findings so that others in my shoes might get some help too.

Cheers for the advice!
C.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here