Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiple valve drip system

Posted by alexh (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 19:51

I'm installing a multiple valve/anti-siphon drip system using automatic valves served by a residential main. I would like to use one filter and even 1 pressure reg that serves all valves if possible for ease of installation and cost. The retailer told me that this is not recommended since the unit would be under constant pressure. The filter/pressure reg is a DIG unit rated to 115 PSI.

Does this sound right?

I sent an e-mail to DIG to confirm but I rarely get any response from manufacturers so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiple valve drip system

I would follow your retailers advice .. I don't use DIG regulators / filters but have repaired many leaking filters on the non pressure side of a system !! There are indeed filters / regulators that can be under pressure but the cost will most likely be higher. I am only familiar with heavy commercial brass units ... and they are expensive !

Good Day ...

o
RE: Multiple valve drip system

Sure, the heavy brass pressure regulators and commercial filters are "expensive". Up to $50 for a brass pressure regulator and $50-100 for a commercial filter rated up to 400 psi. But compare that to buying and maintaining 6 sets of filters plus cartridges and 6 pressure regulators, all with those cheesy plastic fittings that love to strip when you try to connect them. The cheapo plastic Y-filters run $10-15 a pop and the cheapo plastic preset pressure regulators run $7 a pop. I'd rather pay $50 for one brass regulator that'll service the whole valve setup and last forever than $42 for 6 plastic ones. I might ruin one or two before the things are even installed--I destroyed the threads on a Y-filter last year and I'm not even a muscle-bound guy...

I've been wrestling with the drip irrigation issue off and on for almost a year now, still trying to figure out how to automate my drip irrigation zones. I've got 3 zones now and need to expand, automate, and make things relatively indestructible. The information on how to do these things isn't readily available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here