Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltlredwagon

Long-term water storage

ltlredwagon
14 years ago

I have questions concerning long-term water storage and HDPE (high density polyethylene) water storage tanks. For agricultural use. Some say its fine. This report by Professor Soboyejo (http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:qWt0QGwEV00J:fireunderfoot.com/STUDY%2520-%2520VOC%2520Diffusion%2520from%2520HDPE.pdf+Soboyejo%2BHDPE&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a) suggests otherwise (just search last name and HDPE if the link doesn't work). I don't want to run VOCs into the soil.

I want to store 10000 gallons for gravity feed to rainbirds in a garden and a small orchard. The tank would also provide emergency water for firefighting if needed. The water in the storage tank, as it was used, would be replenished by river water. I suppose one solution would simply be to have a filter in the line to filter out the VOCs before the water hits the rainbirds. Such as the Aquasana Rhino whole house water filter. Is this acceptable? Stainless steel tanks are extremely expensive. Is there a better idea?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone