Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desirae1983

Best way to irrigate rows of closely spaced plants

desirae1983
10 years ago

Hi all! Haven't come on here for help in awhile but now I'm desperate. I have a drip system installed in my garden. For individual plants like squashes and tomatoes, I have mounds with drip heads off 1/4 inch tubing. This works great for me.

However, the problem is where I have things planted in rows. This includes beets, carrots, radishes, beans, onions, etc. Last year I used microsprayers and felt like it was a huge waste of water because it didn't just direct the into the furrows on the tops of the rows. Also, I had a ton of weeds in between rows. (Granted I did not mulch. This year I have newspaper with straw on either side of and in between the rows). This year, I switched out ALL the microsprayers for soaker hose tubing. BIG MISTAKE!! It's so inconsistent! Some rows put out a good amount of water, others barely put out any. I replaced them a second time with a new roll, and same inconsistency. Switching "good" ones with "bad" ones gives the same results, so I know it's the hose itself, not the pressure or tubing it's coming off of.

My question is: What do you guys recommend as being the best/most efficient way to water these rows of veggies? My next consideration was drip tape with 6" spacing for emitters, however, I'm not sure that would work for the beets, radishes, carrots, where the initial spacing is so much closer than that. The only other thing I can think of is switching back to microsprayers like I had initially.

Thanks guys!

Comments (2)