Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Self-watering system

Posted by gkaneto none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 22:51

Hello, everybody!

I just wrote an tutorial about self-watering indoor plants.

It is here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Self-regulating-watering-system

Hope someone find it useful.

Best wishes,
Gustavo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Self-watering system

gk,

How often do you have to refill the bottle or replace it? How big is the bottle? When plants mature, they can really suck up the water. Interesting experiment. Aloha

o

Hi!

Well.... I'm testing it now (for 4 days) with two plants in small pots, and a 1.5 L bottle (one bottle for both plants). Until now, about 500 mL of water was sucked from the bottle.

I believe that a lot of water also evaporates from the soil (not to underestimate the plants thirst); so, if bottle size becomes a limit, maybe one can cover the pot with PVC film to reduce consumption... (Just an idea; never did it...)

o

gk,

Water is evaporating from the dishes as well. Approximately a 1/4" of depth a day in regular sunlight. Do an experiment with a cup of water and record the drop in water level each day. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here